No eggs - we are about to give up

I don't think you should expect much from a hen that is 2 years old. I have 12 of them and I am lucky if I get one egg per day... The latest magazine " Chickens" from Hobby Farms pretty much says at 2, you need to start culling. I know there are people who say they have 5 year old's that still lay an egg- but I don't think you can hope for an egg a day anymore.

We got our first egg!!!!!! It's so exciting!
This morning Mo was very vocal, as always, but was in and out of the coop before I left for work. When I came home this afternoon I checked the box but nothing so I let them out in the garden. When it came to bed time I went into the run with them and was talking to Mo (I just can't help it
smile.png
) and was saying that I had thought today would be the day........turned around and there it was on the ground!! It's very small but perfectly formed. At last!!!!!!!

Quote:
Do you know absolutely for a fact how old they are? You said they did not even lay well during the summer when you bought them. It makes me wonder if someone sold you sold much older hens then what you think you have.

Our chickens were sold to us as older than they were. In England you pay per week for them so he told us they were older and charged us more but it's NOW obvious to us that they were much younger than he said.

Just a word or two of update. We have started the red pepper in diet plan. So far we still have gotten 1egg. per day. Yesterday's egg was an EE's and we had not seen an egg from one of them in 6 weeks or more. We are hanging on and hoping for lots of eggs.

Lydia&Andrew :

I had heard that so I'm not expecting anything until at least spring time when the weather is better.

The very next day our black Orpington laid her first egg!!!! She has laid 5 in total now and I'm hoping for another when I get home from work today.
smile.png

Last edited:
If they were a march hatch they should have been laying since the end of Aug. My 5 have are laying daily now consistant xlarge eggs.

Hi,
It's something to be thankful for. We got 3 eggs today.
smile.png
This is the first time in a long time. We are so thankful. Maybe they all will decide to lay at least every other day. That would make us so happy.
celebrate.gif

Hope you all have had a wonderful Thanksgiving day. I baked quail for our meal and they were fall apart tender and really good. My
husband really liked them. Somehow I believe he will be asking me to get some eggs to hatch so we can raise some more.
Will let you know later how are hens are doing.

Back
Top Bottom