no eggs yet (*update* FIRST EGG vs storebought post #23)

Fanny

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
So, if I post on here asking why my hens haven't laid yet, will it increase the odds of me going out and finding an egg soon????
smile.png

My 4 hens are between 27 and 30 weeks old now - waiting is getting so hard! I know it's likely a weather/daylight thing... but I'd really like some eggs!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you. Let me know what you as going to do. I am going to add a boiled egg once a week and sewe if that helps, and call the feed store and see what they say, and am checking on the daylight time

I just started getting eggs from 3 out of 5 of my girls. They are all 28 weeks old. Hang in there, it's worth the wait. I almost cried when I saw my first egg!

I was thinking about 'seeding' the nest box - but the combs are all still pinkish, not red.

I guess there's not much to do but wait. And wait some more!

It is good to hear from other impatient folk who were rewarded. I know the eggs will come, but it doesn't feel like it right now!

Mine laid within a week of switching to Purina Layena. Had been on developer until then. A couple weeks younger than yours.

Since then... 2 eggs a day out of 3 hens.

My father-in-law was having trouble with his pullets, to start laying. He called McMurray hatchery and they told him to use the quick chick at the recommended dosage on the package.He said within a week and a half he was getting eggs.So might be worth a try. There are several products the same as quick chick. You can get Avian Super Pack, GQF Vitamins + and Vi-tal from randallburkey.com. I haven't had a chance to check any of the feed stores in our area. Could be that they have something like it. You are looking for a product that contains vitamins and electrolytes for poultry. Thats whats in the quick chick. Good luck with with your pullets and hopefully you will be getting eggs soon.
Tammy

I posted the same message 3 days ago and was blessed with 2 eggs in 24 hours and another one the next day!

With that questions answered, I have a ton more!

Good luck.

Patience
bow.gif
It will come. But you are right about the comb color. You need to see them change to red. It does seem to take forever. And the cold won't help either.

Well... on the comb colour note... went out today and my Easter Egger's comb seemed larger and brighter than even a day or two ago! I'm keeping my fingers crossed... maybe they've liked the nice weather we've been having here lately (around 0C/32F).

What do you think? Is my 'post-on-BYC and eggs will come soon' theory looking good?
smile.png
I hope I have the same luck as you pfmoore!

35059_easter_egger_comb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom