No eggs yet?!?!?!? Whats the problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pocmts, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pocmts

pocmts New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    We received our day old chickens on May 7 and still don't have any eggs, whats up? We have a mix of RIR, Speckled sussex, buff orpingtons and jersey giants. Not expecting the jersey giants yet but the others should be laying, yes?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:That makes them about 5 months old, so you could very well have another couple of months before you see any eggs.

3. pocmts

pocmts New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Yikes...a couple months??? I thought they started laying around 20-22 weeks. We also have some red sex links that started laying at 19 weeks

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This time of year especially with the shorter days they'll be slower to start. Some of my orps have been about 28+ weeks before they start. My SS are generally about 6 months. I've found with pullets if they start before the days start getting too short they'll lay well over the winter, but if they don't get going it takes them longer than in the spring.

5. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    Yep, it takes 16+ hours a day of light to get them to laying. If they hatched out in may, they are probably not going to lay for another 6 to 8 weeks. now with the shorter daylight hours, you probably wont get eggs from them until spring.

6. PlymouthRocker

PlymouthRocker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Plymouth County MA
    We got our week-old Buffs the day after you did, and they have been laying for 9 days. They started laying in the nesting boxes, but now are laying on the floor and in the run. You may have some sneaky layers like I do.

7. pocmts

pocmts New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    So would a light in the coop for a few more hours trick them into laying?

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm in the same boat, mine hatched on June 1, and they are now pooping in the nesting boxes....

9. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Ditto.... 19 weeks and waiting. I have a light on a timer that's on at 5 am they are getting about 13 1/2 hrs of light
    but nothing yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by