No eggs yet

g0vtmule

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
We have two Bielefelders. Born in mid May, Full sized and eating healthy (free ranging and organic feed). I know this is probably a bad time to expect them to lay eggs, with the daylight getting shorter and the temperature turning colder (We are on MD Eastern Shore - so its dipping into/below freezing at night and 45+ during the day).

What else can we do? Mama is getting hungry for fresh eggs!!! We had a local tell us we needed a rooster to get their juices flowing to start producing. While that makes sense, I can't believe that's a "requirement" for them to start egg production. And if it is, is there a hormone / supplement that we can give to stimulate them. Do we wait it out? Will Mother Nature tell them its time to start production?

Suggestions welcome..... Thanks
Dean

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop

2ndTink

Songster
Aug 23, 2020
I have two pullets that were born in June, one just laid her first egg 3 days ago (RIR) and the other isn't squatting yet (BR), I don't have a rooster either. Patience is the best answer, and easier said than done!

Once they start squatting it won't be long, but even those few weeks of waiting are hard 😁

Top Bottom