1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalick, Jun 3, 2011.

1. chickalick

chickalick Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    i have had my chickens 3 weeks but no eggs

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    HI,
    How old are they? If they were already laying before you brought them home, then: 1. there can be a settling in period, although I think 3 weeks a bit long 2. Did the stress of the move make them molt? Molting= no eggs 3. Make sure they are getting the layer feed & oyster shell/calcium they need to lay.

If they weren't laying before you brought them home, why are you worried? Back to , "how old are they"?

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    In addition to the good points/questions raised in the post above:

Are you sure they aren't laying? If they free range, they could be laying them somewhere outside and you just haven't found their nests

If in a coop, is the coop predator proof? Snakes and other predators like to eat eggs and it's been a big year for snakes, least about in these parts!

4. chickalick

May 18, 2011
    i
    Quote:i got them at 22 weeks there is no sighn of the hens molting i am giveing them corn and they get the grit i put it in a bowl in the hen shed on the floor thanks

5. chickalick

May 18, 2011
    i am not sure if they were laying before i got them thanks

6. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Corn alone does not provide the nutrition chickens need to thrive and lay. You should really consider switching to layer feed, and only give corn as a treat. Your local feedstore should carry layer feed. Also it sounds like they are only just reaching laying age at 22 weeks, so they might not have started yet. But it is unlikely they will start if you don't provide a balanced diet. Hope that helps [​IMG]

7. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:i got them at 22 weeks there is no sighn of the hens molting i am giveing them corn and they get the grit i put it in a bowl in the hen shed on the floor thanks

So, grit is not calcium, it only helps them grind up their food, and if you are only giving them straight corn, they may not be getting the proper diet. You didn't say anything about free-ranging them, so I am assuming you don't. Think about what a chicken would normally eat--a wide variety of grass, greens, bugs, grains, berries--whatever they scratch up or catch. And if they were getting a "layer feed" before they came to you, which is theoretically a balanced diet for laying-aged hens, you might have shocked their system a bit. Cracked corn isn't a complete food. That and they need a source of calcium. Either toast eggs shells, crush them and give back to them, or buy some oyster shell at the feed store. It is cheap. I go through a 5=lb bag with my 8 laying hens in about 6 months, and it is maybe $2.50.

And please see these threads for a discussion on complete diet & treats if you don't want to buy the standard Purina layer pellets (or whatever brand) from your local Feed Store.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=478712
    And
    the link for the treats chart:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

25 weeks old would be the start of when most breeds may begin laying, but if they aren't getting any calcium, it will be hard for them to do their job.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by