No Eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenifferHartman, Dec 16, 2013.

1. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    My hens have completely stopped laying. Is that common? Haven't gotten anything out of them in nearly 2 months. I know they will lay inconsistently with the temp drops and decreased daylight, but NO eggs?? :/ I'm worried about them becoming egg bound or something. BTW they have been exclusively coop chickens since we have had an issue with preditors during the day so they couldn't be hididng them anywhere..

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    It's probably the lack of daylight as well as colder temperatures. Check their combs. If they are a light pinkish they are not going to lay. The hormones that control laying eggs also control the comb color. They won't lay any eggs unless their comb is bright red. Day light and temperature effect the hormones. Good luck!

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    There are a lot of factors:
    What breed of chicken are they?
    How old are they?
    What are you feeding them?
    Are they getting as much natural light as possible?
    Where do you live?
    How cold has it been for the past 2 months?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are in their 2nd year of laying, they are most likely molting. Have you seen a lot of feathers lying around the coop and yard?

5. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    They are not yet a year old. Got them early March and they started laying in August. They are easter eggers.. They eat grit, pellets, scratch, pumpkin, apple, various fruits and veggies.. hard boiled eggs.. some table scraps meal worms.. they get natural light in their coop and also have solar lamps in there. We live in Kansas and the temperature has ranged anywhere between 15º-high 50º's low 60º's..
    I realize there are a lot of things that effect their egg cycle, just concerned that it has stopped all together and wasn't sure if that was something to worry about, or if there is anything I should be doing differently. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by