no egs in three days!

BellaBokBok

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Australia
haven't gotten a single egg in three days!
they usually both lay one a day
3 days ago i got ONE and it was very thin shelled
figured out their feeder was empty
filled it yesterday
still no eggs today!
hopefully there will be tomorrow...

In the winter months it is normal for chickens to slow or even stop their egg laying. This is due to molting, less daylight, or just taking a rest. If it is the light you can add a light source on a timer to the morning hours, around 4:30am to about 6:30. Try to give them at least 14 hour of total light. Also the longer that they are not laying the longer it will take to start them back up again...
frow.gif

well i got one egg yesterday and today... only one.. both very small.. i've filled their food and water and changed their bedding, plus, im in australia so it's actually summer here (well it will be in 4 days)

I'm pretty sure it would be running out of food that is the cause from what you have written. Egg laying takes a lot of energy for a hen to do every day, make sure they have enough feed to do so. Not knowing how long their feeder was empty it is hard to say how long it will take to get back to normal laying.
You mentioned that one egg was thin shelled. Make sure they have access to plenty of calcium. I put out both shell grit and marble chips (which some commercial feeds have in them) for my girls. They will know how much they want to eat.

Hot weather can also be a factor. Make sure they always have plenty of cool water available. Even with lots of water and food they may still go off the lay when it is hot. Take extra measures to keep them cool when it is very hot, hot weather can kill them.

Hope they are back to normal soon and it is nothing more serious.

Got two eggs yesterday and one was rather large, but not a double yolk so I think she might have been cooking that one extra long but hopefully we're back on track!

i live in NSW and have two isa browns. Both used to lay eveyday but recently one Ruby has been laying irregular. she has gone 5 DAYS and then laid i thought it may be the heat but have noticed the other Rosie nicks all the food so maybe she is not getting her share . they both free range any suggestions

i live in NSW and have two isa browns. Both used to lay eveyday but recently one Ruby has been laying irregular. she has gone 5 DAYS and then laid i thought it may be the heat but have noticed the other Rosie nicks all the food so maybe she is not getting her share . they both free range any suggestions
How old are your chooks?
It is probably the wrong time of year for moulting, but they go off the lay a bit then, usually in autumn.
What do you feed them, and how much? They need food with enough protein in it to keep up egg laying.
Chooks don't usually overeat their regular feed, they will fight over and guts down treats but with regular feed the dominant one(Rosie) will eat its fill and then the other can have a feed. Mine come back to the food through the day and everyone eats as much as they want. Mine free range and I was having problems with wild birds pinching their food but I built a treadle feeder that smaller birds like doves can't get into and use a lot less food now.

Thanks for the feed back. they have daily chook food i buy organic laying and scratch mix. they also have sunflower seeds . eveyday they have yogurt (they love it) they are about you1year old.

Hi Bellabokbok and Lillychick,
how are your girls and their egg laying going?
I've been having problems with mine this week, 2 of them egg bound! They are so sad and sorry for themselves when this happens, it must hurt from the way they behave. Gave both of them a soak in some warmish water (it's been hot here so not too warm) last night, one laid her egg not long after and she is in the nest box again this evening. The other hasn't laid yet but looks a lot more comfortable and is pooing more normally. Have to see how she goes.
Hope you are both having a better time than me.

Back
Top Bottom