NO ELECTRICITY how can i incubate

Yes I got that too. But if you look at pictures of the really old antique incubator's it tells you what they are.

I can't remember where I read it or exactly how it was done, but they had wood fired ovens to build the heat. I will try and figure out where I saw that...

I believe you can put an adapter on most incubators and hook them up to a battery if that is a valid option for you. Some incubators are equipped to hook up to cars as well. If you have access to a generator that you can plug it into for the hours that the power is out that would also work. A full incubator will hold a stable temperature longer and there are a lot of interesting things people will put in their incubators when anticipating possible power outages due to bad weather (such a filling the bottom with rocks because they hold temp longer) but I think you would encounter issues while trying to do this daily for so many hours.

I have to agree with @CluckNDoodle that it would be difficult to incubate the eggs in an electric incubator with the power frequently shutting off. As far as trying old school incubators I think you're going to run into a similar problem with not being able to maintain proper temperature and humidity especially when wood fires are involved (the Egyptians might have gotten it down to an exact science but they have generations of experience and expertise on their side). Broody hens are going to be your easiest solution as they have instinctual knowledge of how to properly care for an egg and have done so since before we domesticated them. Like @50-45-1 said the threat of predators isn't unique to South Africa and people have successfully utilized broody hens in the safe confines of a properly built Hen house. What kind of breeds are you raising? Some breeds might be more vulnerable to predators than others. A buff orpington is very docile which makes for an excellent pet but when it comes to predators it puts them at a disadvantage versus a more flighty and independent breed such as an Egyptian Fauyomi.

How did people incubate eggs before the invention of the electronic incubator? Seems like something worth finding out :confused:all you really need is to maintain proper temperature and humidity throughout the incubation period

I saw something about heating bricks in a fire...they maintain heat for a long time. It was being used to heat a greenhouse...maybe that's an option...wouldn't wanna cook them though so i guess i'd have to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom