no feathers along belly of chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lsutigers1809, Mar 10, 2013.

1. lsutigers1809

lsutigers1809 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    hello i have about 20 chicks bout 3 weeks old most all of them don't have feathers along their breast bone i was wondering if anyone may know what's going on with that

2. Dogchickenboy

Dogchickenboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have the same problem, I thought it was them getting feathers. But I dont know.

3. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Did it start happening now or did you get them like that. Where did you get the chicks?

4. Dogchickenboy

Dogchickenboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well i dont know about lsutigers1809 but I got mine from TSC and it just started happening

5. lsutigers1809

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    Wasn't like that when i got them but been this way for bout 2 weeks now

6. lsutigers1809

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    And i got mine from ts as well

7. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    Very normal. 3 week old chickens tend to look a little ragged while they're getting all there feathers in. I've found that Orps and Australorps look the most crazy. Also, here's a quote from Gail Damerow's book "Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks":

"Unlike a mammal's fur, feathers do not grow over the entire body surface of a chicken or other type of poultry. Instead, the feathers grow in small, symmetrical tracts and fan out to cover the body. The feather tracts are separated by featherless areas in which some down may grow, even in mature poultry."

There's more, but that pretty much gets the point across. Also she has a diagram on the page showing where the feather and featherless tracts are. One of the featherless tracts on a chicken is the breast bone. They'll start filling in a lot more as they age and their feathers fan out, but for right now they might look a bit funny.

8. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've heard that them living in dirty conditions causes this.

9. lsutigers1809

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    I change it everyday so it can't be dirty least i wouldn't think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by