No fence, will they run off?

If the dog lives outside with his charges, then he is on 24/7. I had a Great Pyrenees as a pet and she was always aware of everything. She constantly knew everything that was going on all around us. She knew who lived where and didn't like it if one neighbor went to another neighbors house. She was my first experience with a livestock guardian dog and she totally amazed me. She died many years ago. I wish she was still with me to guard my chickens! I don't think she would have even needed to be trained. It was so natural to her.

... Nobody likes OKRA!!

LOL... you've never had my aunt's smothered okra... or my wife's gumbo

The dog can't be on watch 24/7. Predators are bold and will sometimes learn the schedule of your dog, then snatch a chicken when the dog is not around.

Our heeler was 24/7.... we did give her new years day off (australian independence day) ... which was inconvenient because that meant we had to load all the chickens into the station wagon and take them to town for the day where they'd be safe... but they looked forward to it all year long also, so it was a win win... ;)

Did your heeler chase the chickens? I have a heeler mix and he has a strong desire to chase, but I've been working with him. He also has a strong desire to please me.

Did your heeler chase the chickens?....

That was many years ago, and heelers were not common then, but my experience with heelers since then has been very mixed, some I've been around I wouldn't have... they seem to be a bit too "feral", others are gems, others somewhere in between.

She was a gem and was raised around chickens from the time she was a small pup, and likely learned pretty quickly that chasing the chickens was a "no no" .

She was an extremely bright dog, and learned very quickly. I remember teaching her to sit in all of about 10 minutes.

By brother used to have a great pyrenees that would chase the chickens and pick them up in her mouth and play with them when she was in that nearly grown / giant puppy stage... she never harmed one but those chickens used a lot of four letter clucks during the ordeal.

I had a heeler mix once. never bothered a chicken..
in fact, I never owned a dog who was not good with my chickens.
some have to be trained, some just know.
I inherited my daughter's LGD that to my knowledge , never saw a chicken.. she was raised in town..
when I got her, I immediately took her into the chicken coop to see if I was going to have to kennel her or not.
she never gave the big chickens a second glance.. she laid down and about 25 yellow one week chicks climbed all over her like she was a big white mountain. she did not even flinch..
....jiminwisc....

Cattle panels covered with welded wire will give 16 foot sections of fence. Corners can be zip tied together. If you put them together at angles no posts are required to hold them up. You can make as many sections as you'd like. And always have a portable fence. It can be moved around the yard as wanted/needed. It will not be ft Knox against all predators, but it will keep most from a quick grab and run attack.

Back
Top Bottom