No Grit ??

Lee Charteris

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
I have a sexlink who has been looking a bit under the weather these past two days plus unusually she has stopped laying

she is eating but her poop comes out much like it goes in (ie undigested) .. and her crop seems empty

she doesn't appear to be taking much grit

Any suggestions ? can you make them take grit ?

Thanks in advance

Are you feeding a ration? They don't technically need grit to digest a premix ration. You cannot force them to consume grit, nor would it be a good idea.

I have a sexlink who has been looking a bit under the weather these past two days plus unusually she has stopped laying

she is eating but her poop comes out much like it goes in (ie undigested) .. and her crop seems empty

Thanks in advance
That sounds like there is some internal something totally messed up in her.

:(

Not sure if that is fixable.

Actually you can "force" them to take grit by mixing a small amount into a little bit of wet or fermented feed. They'll eat around some of it but if a few pieces get in, that's good enough. I have a special needs bird so that's how I get her to take it, as she doesn't do it herself.

Thanks in advance
she eats a mix of pellets and cracked corn .. plus a lot of greens and is outside most of the day
Please post some photo of the hen and her poop.

She stopped laying - how long ago and how old is she?
Is she molting?

If possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms may be an issue.
Feel her abdomen for any bloat or fluid (below the vent between her legs).

Back
Top Bottom