NO HATCH...WHAT DID I DO WRONG?????

Missouri chick

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Homer, GA
I'm using a still air bator (I know, not the best), but I borrowed it from a friend who has had successful hatches. I followed temp and humidity BY THE BOOK. I looked through that window a million times to make sure all was well. Day 18 I stopped turning, increased humidity just like I've been reading to do. I also candled that day to make sure there were chicks in there. All eggs, but one, appeared to be full.

I'm so dissapointed with myself. These were chicks that I was really looking forward to. Can any of the experts out there think of anything I may have missed? I checked the thermometer to make sure it was accurate. I'm pretty sure it is. It's now day 24 any hope left?

Thanks for listening......

What are you hatching? Chickens? Ducks? Guineas? Sometimes they can run late. What were your temps and humidity during incubation and at hatch??

OHHHH Maaannnn, they are speckledhen's orps....temp days 1-now,,,,101-102...humidity day 1-18, 45-50% then up to 65%. Did I do it wrong????? I tried to do an adverage of what every one says they do....

Sometimes the humidity can be too high, and the chicks will drown in the egg. Most books will tell you to use a high humidity, but I prefer to go a little on the dry side. I try not to let mine get above 65% just to make sure that they don't get too much moisture just before hatch and don't lose enough moisture from the egg during the incubation period.

Im so sorry about the hatch! I was wondering about it, but didn't dare ask. Maybe you did nothing wrong. It's hard to know sometimes. Usually, if you believe your values were perfect and you had no issues all the way through, that would make me first think my instruments were off somehow. You know you're welcome to get more eggs whenever you want to try again.

Edited to add: Stacey's method is mine, too. I actually keep the humidity from going over 70 the entire last three days, even during the hatch if I can. Most of the last three days, it stays about 65-68.

Last edited:
I killed my babies.........I know they say don't cry over spilled milk,,,,,,,I sure am crying over no chickens.....Well, not really crying, but I sure want to.

Orps are supposed to be hard to hatch sometimes... I don't think you did anything wrong. Calibrate your instruments and make sure they are reading properly, make sure the bator is sterilized properly and throughly, and try again! Maybe wait until things cool off in the fall.

It sounds like everything was right as far as your end of things..... so I'd guess either your instruments are off or the eggs just weren't meant to hatch
sad.png

hugs.gif

well did you look in one? i would have been in that air cell on day 23 to see what the heck was going on. i'm that sort though. what a bummer for you. i'm sorry your eggs didn't hatch. go get some more and try again. ya gotta get back on the chicken!

Back
Top Bottom