No hatching even after day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orangesplash, Mar 26, 2018.

1. orangesplash

orangesplash Songster

Feb 26, 2018
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    I have a brinsea maxi ex and i had put 14 eggs in it on the 4th of March at 10pm.

4 eggs were removed since they were non-fertile and now I have 10 eggs in it.

its been more than 12 hours after the 21st day and there are no chicks... no signs of hatching at all...

The humidity is 62% now.

is there anything that I am not doing right?

2. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Have you candled the eggs to see how the chicks are doing and if there is any movement?

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    21 days is just an average. If your temperature is slightly lower over the course of incubation then the hatch will be delayed a little.

Maybe top up your water while no eggs are pipping and you could even try holding an egg to your ear and see if you can hear any tapping, but try to keep it in the same position it's been in in the incubator. But don't panic if you can't hear anything - people have eggs hatching right up to day 26. I've had naturally incubated Button quail eggs take 21 days to hatch - 5 days over their usual incubation period. So it happens naturally as well.

It's perfectly normal to feel anxious. It's a very stressful time for us just waiting for those eggs to hatch. :fl

ChickNanny13 and Freisian like this.
  4. orangesplash

orangesplash Songster

Feb 26, 2018
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    i had candled them 5 days back and yes there was movement.. should i cancel now? the humidity is 65%.. is that fine?

5. orangesplash

orangesplash Songster

Feb 26, 2018
    Islamabad, Pakistan

LET ME RUN AND DO THIS... SERIOUSLY I AM VERY ANXIOUS!

JaeG likes this.
  6. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Perfectly normal! Seriously - there's nothing more stressful that hovering over the incubator waiting for 'something' to happen! And you find your feet taking you back there every 2 minutes just to 'check'. You'll get nothing done (except egg, and then chick watching) for a few days at least! :lol:

7. orangesplash

orangesplash Songster

Feb 26, 2018
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    I had one chick at 1pm & my 4 year old daughter named her Rapunzil ! :) She is adorable :) now I need experts to tell me if my knowledge is correct? According to my understand, the chick is ok without food for 24-36 hours, is that correct?

8. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Congratulations! :celebrate Yes, that's correct. A broody will sit for around 48 hours waiting for any stragglers to hatch before taking the chicks off the nest to feed so chicks can last that long if necessary. Chicks need a lot of rest initially. Hatching is hard work.

9. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Tap the top of the incubator with your finger now and then, that gets them popping. :)

10. orangesplash

orangesplash Songster

Feb 26, 2018
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    did i do wrong by shifting 4 chicks that were 1-2 days old to the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: