no hatching

yasmine2882

Hatching
Jul 25, 2021
Hi

I had 6 buff orpington eggs which i bought from ebay of all the 6, two were definitely fertile and growing . During lockdown on day 22 i noticed a small pip on one of the eggs and later in the day i heard chirping, anyway to cut the story short eventually i had to intervene as the chick was stuck and the white membrane had become dry and hard. i managed to rescue her but by end of day 22 no movement or pipping on the other egg i candled and i saw no movement. i decided to get rid of it but before that i broke the egg and i saw the dry rubbery membrane to me it seemed it couldn't get out of it to pip the shell and had died. my question is could i have helped it by making small crack on the shell.

my question is could i have helped it by making small crack on the shell.
No.. very unlikely.
Congrats on the one you did rescue! :wee

I have caused more problems than I prevented by "helping" and it feels just as awful. I'm in the never help camp.. theoretically.. but in practice there's always that "what if".. Some chicks I successfully helped.. should never have hatched for a reason and I later had to make the call to cull (dispatch) it myself.. There's no perfect answer.. but dialing in our hatch parameters is the best we can do, calibrate or use calibrated hygro/thermometers.. your temperature was too low as indicated by your late hatch.

Shipped eggs are always a gamble.. from Ebay, an even bigger one. How far they traveled, age of eggs, weather temp, and so much more effect this.

33% fertility is not an acceptable range to be considered "fertile" eggs. I can only presume this was the development rate due to shipping (and that they weren't local eggs).. but so many sellers have never checked their actual fertility or hatch rates.. and just sell the eggs as "fertile hatching" because they have a cock in the flock. Most folks aren't as obsessive (or uhm "detail oriented") as some of us enthusiast are. But those are good questions for any future buyers to ask.. How do they test fertility and what is their personal hatch rate?

My favorite (chick) hatching resource has cause of embryonic mortality according to the day they quit starting on page 52..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

I wonder that two, my 2 buff polish shipped eggs were devloping and I heard both of them chirping, one is growing strong while other didn't pip externally but it did internally.
Each situation is unique.. Congrats on your baby!

I water candled them,
A cruddy way to determine anything really. I always recommend against it.

I am trying to figure out how long I should leave them before I give up.
Usually a few days.. the latest I've heard of a chicken chick successfully hatching is 25 days.

It's easier to make this type of determination when you are familiar with the breeding stock and know that you have your incubation parameters dialed in. Otherwise, we just make our best guess according to the clues.

The sniff test can sometimes tell you when something has passed and needs removing from the bator. I'd check those palms again before the reds start pipping. Give them a good whiff.

Happy hatching! :fl :jumpy:jumpy

Hi

I had 6 buff orpington eggs which i bought from ebay of all the 6, two were definitely fertile and growing . During lockdown on day 22 i noticed a small pip on one of the eggs and later in the day i heard chirping, anyway to cut the story short eventually i had to intervene as the chick was stuck and the white membrane had become dry and hard. i managed to rescue her but by end of day 22 no movement or pipping on the other egg i candled and i saw no movement. i decided to get rid of it but before that i broke the egg and i saw the dry rubbery membrane to me it seemed it couldn't get out of it to pip the shell and had died. my question is could i have helped it by making small crack on the shell.
I wonder that two, my 2 buff polish shipped eggs were devloping and I heard both of them chirping, one is growing strong while other didn't pip externally but it did internally.

I am of no help I have two Royal Palm turkey eggs that were supposed to hatch Monday or Tuesday of this week. On Tuesday night I water candled them, one egg had definite movement the other I wasn’t sure. On Thursday night was lockdown for our 5 Bourbon red eggs. So I moved the others into the incubator with them to see if one would hatch and maybe encourage the others to do so as well. My bourbons should hatch hopefully tomorrow. I am trying to figure out how long I should leave them before I give up. I have read if the temp isn’t right it may make incubating take longer.

Back
Top Bottom