No more nasty roo!

Milliemay

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Southwest Wisconsin
That naughty thing finally caught me in the wrong mood. I tried to be the dominate one, gave him plenty of chances, but he came after me when I was in a "foul" mood!
he.gif
He will now be simmered, then made into rice soup!

Actually I was tired of worrying about when he was going to go after someone else, or my kids, and my poor hens have almost no feathers left on their backs! I think I saw releif in their eyes......

Now I will have to order replacements, and hatch next year. I have tried RIR, Jersy Giant, and this one was a Buff Orp, all were nasty. Anyone know of a for sure breed that will be calm and nice or is it just the luck of the draw that they will be nice and rooish?
I also had to cull an older hen, and I found mites on her, so now I have a whole new problem........
hmm.png

I had issues with a BO and a Welsummer roo, now we have a BLRW and he is as gentle as can be, but still takes great care of the flock. I imagine it is just luck of the draw with most any breed.

Good luck!

Quote:
A lot of times it is the luck of the draw, but I would recommend an Aseel (also spelled Asil). They are very sweet and calm and docile. Extremely smart too. They are also a bred recognised in the APA Standard of Perfection so you can show him if you are into that sorta thing. While their "look" might not be for everyone, I have adored all of my Asils.
However, I will say this, they are one rooster per flock types. Being a variety of Gamefowl, while they are super tolerant of people, of kids and love to be handled and hugged, they can be game-y and intolerant toward other roos. Some types/lines more then others. This plays into your favor well though as they are protective of their hens as far as predators go. I have lost a few roos over the years from tangling with coons, possums, and hawks. I had one Asil hen kill a hawk protecting her babies, and I was given another roo (Henry-the best ever rooster) that tangled with an owl and the owl lost. Henry was not show able due to his scars from the owl, but he was an amazing bird. He was a such love.

Quote:
A lot of times it is the luck of the draw, but I would recommend an Aseel (also spelled Asil). They are very sweet and calm and docile. Extremely smart too. They are also a bred recognised in the APA Standard of Perfection so you can show him if you are into that sorta thing. While their "look" might not be for everyone, I have adored all of my Asils.
However, I will say this, they are one rooster per flock types. Being a variety of Gamefowl, while they are super tolerant of people, of kids and love to be handled and hugged, they can be game-y and intolerant toward other roos. Some types/lines more then others. This plays into your favor well though as they are protective of their hens as far as predators go. I have lost a few roos over the years from tangling with coons, possums, and hawks. I had one Asil hen kill a hawk protecting her babies, and I was given another roo (Henry-the best ever rooster) that tangled with an owl and the owl lost. Henry was not show able due to his scars from the owl, but he was an amazing bird. He was a such love.

I never had a game rooster that was violent with his hens. They really watch out for there hens.

Back
Top Bottom