No more rats! Whee hee!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrenchHen, May 17, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    After rat trapping developed into a sick and twisted hobby, (set trap, snap, remove body, reset trap. SNAP!) I went for more drastic measures.

I mixed 1 part peanut butter to one part plaster of paris. Add olive oil (not water) until it's a thick paste. Roll into balls and toss under coop and anywhere else nice animals can't reach.

After one night, all the balls were gone, so I made more.

Not so much as a nibble today.

No more rats with a simple rat bait!

1 person likes this.
  2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    How does it work?

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I've read two different things about its action. I believe it's by rapid calcium overdose.

4. where can I buy plaster of paris, I have a problem with rats in the coop and have tried putting peanut butter on a brick of rat poison and cutting a small hole in the top of a coffee can for the rat to get it seems they don't like my poison, and i'm sick of rats. marrie

5. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I got mine at a Michael's Craft store, but any craft store should carry it.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The plaster of paris pulls the moisture ffom their body when it is consumed. It makes rat rocks. They can't pass it and die from dehydration, lack of being able to poo and eat, etc. Also the plaster of paris heats up fairly hot.

7. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Either way, it works. It's not toxic to me, and it's not expensive.

I'm so happy!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'll have to try that. I too am sick of rats.

9. kellykungfu

kellykungfu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    You can purchase cheaply Plaster of Paris at Home Depot and its in the painting section. When I first looked for it, I kept going up and down the cement isle... Its like 14 bucks for a 20 pound bag. I'm sure at Michael's art supply, it'll be much more expensive for the same poundage.

-kelly

10. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband's Grandfater swore by that method. I think it does make rock rats. I would put out lots of water to ensure its works well. I hate rats!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by