No More Roo!

DreadElliot

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Coventry, RI
Back in April, we incubated GLW eggs. Only two hatched. One of the chicks turned out to be a cockrel. We are not allowed to have roosters in Suburban Coventry, RI. We knew that as soon as he started crowing he would have to go. Well that time came last week. My neighbor informed me that she heard him at 4:30 in the AM. We brought him to Foster Old Home Days. We could not sell him because we did not have proof of vaccination. I was a little sad as I did not even get to meet who took him or know where he went. Well now, the pullet that hatched with him, looks pretty lonely. We have two other pullets but it has always been two groups of two. She roosts all by herself in the run. At night she sleeps in the corner all alone. It is kinda sad. I know... I know... she is a chicken. She does look pretty pathetic!

I have one that is a little bit of a loner two, since the two chicks she grew up with both died. Although mine is one of a flock of 13, she has never completely fit in with either the older girls or the younger pullets that have grown up since. There does seem to be an aspect that they don't fully bond unless the grow up together, doesn't there? Mine is not ostracized and does mostly hang with the rest of the flock but she just doesn't seem to have a special buddy like the others do. Hopefully as time goes on, your lone pullet will be more included with the others.

Back
Top Bottom