no NPIP in Hawaii!?

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
How crazy is it that Hawaii, who is so strict about importing birds, does not participate in the NPIP program?
I was thinking..."ok I am gonna get all legit and find out about this NPIP thing". It looks like you are a serious person when the NPIP cert if proudly displayed. I called the department of agriculture and we have no such thing as NPIP here.
hu.gif

So typical of Hawaii.

I can't say I'm surprised either...but knowing how Hawaii quarantines incoming pets...kinda ironic (or maybe moronic?)

Did your interest peak from wanting to buy certified chickens? I would think based on the number of wild chickens there that would be nearly impossible!

Where are you located? I have a good friend who lives just outside of Hilo...

Leslie

Quote:
I am down south from Hilo.
Ironic is what I thought. Hawaii is so picky about letting birds in you think they would be all over NPIP. I asked the woman I spoke to "what if I wanted to ship birds to a state that required NPIP? How would I do that since we don't have NPIP?" She said I would have to contact each state I wanted to ship to and do what ever testing they required. Now I have no desire or plans to ship birds at all but you know... that is a valid question right? What if someone wanted to do that? Silly.

lol Denise... knowing me anything is possible. I could become the chicken ambassador of Hawaii.
lau.gif

Quote:
I am down south from Hilo.
Ironic is what I thought. Hawaii is so picky about letting birds in you think they would be all over NPIP. I asked the woman I spoke to "what if I wanted to ship birds to a state that required NPIP? How would I do that since we don't have NPIP?" She said I would have to contact each state I wanted to ship to and do what ever testing they required. Now I have no desire or plans to ship birds at all but you know... that is a valid question right? What if someone wanted to do that? Silly.

lol Denise... knowing me anything is possible. I could become the chicken ambassador of Hawaii.
lau.gif

I DO know you and you would be a great advocate/ambassador!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Let's do it! Wait...how? lol
Hey I found a NPIP certified farm that will ship day old marans chicks to Hawaii. It is a member here on BYC. Her screen name is crfarm. I am waiting for her black/copper marans to start laying again then she is gonna incubate them for me and mail them. YAY!! 15 chick minimum. So stoked!!!

Wait.. your the order before mines?? Gahhh!! Hahaha I'm waiting for the black coppers to lay again. She said she has an order to Hawaii before mines... I knew it was you! Hahaha ;-)

Quote:
lau.gif
OMG! Yup thats me! lol!
gig.gif
I was so excited when she said she would send chicks. I had all but given up on getting actual marans chicks. Just figured I had to incubate shipped (scrambled) eggs and get one chick out of every dozen. lol

Back
Top Bottom