No one has asked this question............

There are different ways to do the DLM. The best way is on a dirt floor. That way, the microbes and a little of the moisture can come up from the soil and actually start composting the litter. It will generate heat, just like a hot compost pile in the garden. The composted litter can go directly into the garden.

Depending on how they are managed, compost piles can be hot or cold. I would imagine there may be some variable in DLM coops on dirt, as well. A cooler pile/litter could very well be home to worms or other good bugs that chickens could eat.

If you use the DLM in a coop with a floor, the litter will not break down the same way. It will break down some, but will need to spend some time in a compost pile, to finish composting, before being spread in the garden.

I think I started using the DLM about 20 years ago, after reading about it in a book. I did the stirring or tossed scratch on top of the litter. What I really prefer to do, is start with only as much litter as necessary, to start with. As needed, I sprinkle clean litter over the top. The deep litter is made in layers. It is so much easier and so much cleaner this way.

I would say that the main differences in how I do it are two things. First, I start with a minimal amount of litter in the beginning, not a deep layer. Second, I add litter on top more often, but much more lightly.

I hope that made sense. The litter turns out the same, but there is less work and it's a cleaner environment.

I'm also in the middle of trying the deep litter method and I am TOTALLY surprised at how the hen house does not smell. I can walk in there and of course there is a little smell in the morning after they roost all night but as soon as I scoop that out for the day it is back to not smelling for the whole day. They mostly poo out in the run and that doesn't even smell...it just vanishes into the ground it seems. And lately we have been having a lot of rain but the hen house is on a hill where we have it somewhat slanted so the water all runs down the hill. I will be cleaning it out totally in spring. Started adding pine shavings in july when I first added the hens to the hen house. It sure does save money on pine shavings to just leave it in there and every 2-3 weeks add about 1/4-1/2 bags worth! Every night I throw a little cracked corn in there and they just go to town mixing all the new stuff into the old stuff
lau.gif
Nothing funnier than watching a bunch of hens butts wiggling around
gig.gif

There are different ways to do the DLM. The best way is on a dirt floor.

Mine is not a dirt floor but I'm curious as to how this will work now with reg painted (with outdoor latex paint) plywood will work. So far so good...nothing is ever wet but my FIL built the hen house like a regular house. I make sure and stir the corners up a bit, sometimes the hens miss that part...and never ran into moisture yet
big_smile.png
I hope it stays that way.​

our coop has a plywood floow with tar paper under it. been usung DLM for about 6 months and it is breaking down fairly good. I would be scared to have the coop just on dirt, to many thngs around here dif up our yard so if they are digging up the yard they would dig right into the coop if it was on the ground.

Quote:
I am not criticizing you Beekissed, but although this gets repeated and repeated and repeated it IS NOT TRUE.

It is a misquote of, they can get 100% of their requirements for, uh, one of the B vitamins (B1 maybe? sorry, can't remember offhand and have kids crawling all over right now)... a vitamin that used to cause problematic deficiencies until the problem was identified and it was added to commercial feeds and now the only way your birds would be deficient in it is if you feed a ration other than bagged feed from the feedstore. (e.t.a., for clarity: they can NOT get 100% of their protein requirements from deep litter)

Pat

I'll have to contact Mother Earth News and tell them they are wrong!
big_smile.png

It *has* been known to happen
wink.png

Pat

I have two bales of wood shavings in a 7' x 5' raised coop with a bare plywood floor. We stir it at least once a week. We sprinkle a little DE in there once in a while. I have a waterer in there, and all the shavings are bone dry. They have been in there about two months and it doesn't smell at all. I could not be more pleased with this method.

Quote:
I'll have to contact Mother Earth News and tell them they are wrong!
big_smile.png

It *has* been known to happen
wink.png

Pat

Yes, it HAS!
wink.png

For more info on articles about crude protein % of poultry deep litter you can read at these links:

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/ansci/g02077.htm

http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd18/11/onim18163.htm

http://www.fao.org/Wairdocs/ILRI/x5490E/x5490e09.htm

http://www.indiaagronet.com/indiaagronet/poultry_management/CONTENTS/Poultry housing.htm

Apparently there are quite a few commercial meat growers that are operating under the same fallacy!

Back
Top Bottom