no one is eating oyster shell...why?

Grower feed is for meat birds. period. I wouldn't suggest using it it will make little difference

That's false. There's different "grower" feeds but most are appropriate to feed any chicken 6-8ish weeks and up.

Another option for OP is to feed a mix of your preferred grower/all flock feed and layer feed. I feed both to my birds to increase protein a bit while lowering calcium a bit. Though most of mine are happy to eat the large flake oyster shell I provide - any bird that needs calcium and won't take it, I mix in a small amount of oyster shell powder into a little wet or fermented feed for a private breakfast, 1-2x a week.

I feed 20% all flock crumbles with free choice oyster shell on the side. I also recycle their egg shells by crushing them up and feeding them back to my ladies as an addition option for calcium and my BO prefers it, she'll pick it right out of the oyster shell.

Did you provide them with the appropriate amount of grit too?

If they lack grit they cannot make use of oyster shells as they will not be able to grind them up for proper digestion and uptake.

they get no grit...they free range the backyard all day and often get to go out front for a hour or so. Plenty of natural grit for them.

I've heard when they are in molt they need more protein and don't need feed with calcium. And they don't all molt the same times. That's why I've tried to just provide them feed without calcium al the time and provide oyster on the side so they are always covered.

Perhaps I'm just over thinking all this. If they are eating layer feed during molt does it matter or is that too much calcium?

They definitely need grit

In their diet, yes.
Bought from the store and served In a bowl in the coop, maybe not.

they free range the backyard all day and often get to go out front for a hour or so. Plenty of natural grit for them.

I would expect that to be fine, as long as they have access to the dirt and it does contain small bits of rock. (I've seen some areas where the local "dirt" was fine clay and did not seem to have rock in it. But I think that is somewhat rare.)

In their diet, yes.
Bought from the store and served In a bowl in the coop, maybe not.

I would expect that to be fine, as long as they have access to the dirt and it does contain small bits of rock. (I've seen some areas where the local "dirt" was fine clay and did not seem to have rock in it. But I think that is somewhat rare.)
Never said it needed to be store bought or put in a bowl, just that they need it... so no need to be snarky

Never said it needed to be store bought or put in a bowl, just that they need it... so no need to be snarky

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

You posted "they need grit" right after a post by OP that explained how they have access to natural grit--so I thought you were insisting that natural grit on the ground was not adequate.

Back
Top Bottom