No one told me...

Rest assured that your cost per egg will decrease as you amortize the coop, run, and learning curve over the coming years :)

Lol. That's why I don't mind selling my eggs for a dollar a dozen right now. If I charged what they are "worth," I'd have to charge about $500 per egg! :lau

Lol. That's why I don't mind selling my eggs for a dollar a dozen right now. If I charged what they are "worth," I'd have to charge about $500 per egg! :lau

The eggs might only be worth $1.00 per dozen, but your COST might be closer to $500 per egg. With my coop build, supplies, feed, etc... I am well over $1000 and still looking forward to the first egg.

While out fishing this spring with my brother, he was giving me a bad time saying that he doesn't understand why I am raising chickens when we can buy eggs at the big box store for less than $1.00 per dozen. I replied that was an excellent question. Then I asked him why we were spending about $50 per pound for fish when it is so much cheaper to buy it at the store. Then he started to understand.

...I'D BE SO EXCITED FOR OUR 1ST EGG!

Did a flock check when I got home this afternoon and found this perfect little egg hiding behind the nest boxes :D

Raising chicks was such a fun experience, but it's so great to see all the hard work pay off!
OMG!!!! I know, right? How absolutely wonderful, beautiful an experience....Congratulations on your first $1000 egg...there will be many, many more and the cost becomes nil with the joy and experience....You are good people and thank you for sharing!

OMG!!!! I know, right? How absolutely wonderful, beautiful an experience....Congratulations on your first $1000 egg...there will be many, many more and the cost becomes nil with the joy and experience....You are good people and thank you for sharing!
On our 1st $1000 egg...hahaha! So funny and SO TRUE!

We brought six chicks home on March 17. On July 17 we got our first egg and she’s given one per day ever since. We’re up to four laying now, and averaging 2.6 eggs per day. Yes, I have a spreadsheet complete with a graph, tracking my producers. There are still two chickens who aren’t quite ready, but we’re pleased so far.

Back
Top Bottom