No Ordinance. Still told to get rid of them! MICH.

Hold everything! I have the perfect solution...

Paraphrasing Arlo Guthrie, "Walk in, sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walk out. They'll think you're crazy and they won't want to mess with you."

lau.gif
lau.gif

For those who don't recognize the reference:

UPDATE: First off sorry for dropping the thread here. My husband did something and erased all the cookies, I couldnt get into my account, couldnt remember the password or which email.
Anyways. After many months of our Planning Commission working on an ordinance, they almost scrapped it. Saying just because Council asked us to look into it, doesn't mean we need to write something. Mind you, I had a petition with 40 some signatures in support. Which is impressive given the size of the town and that was in a short time.
I was told to be quiet at tonights meeting when I suggested General Village Code dictates that they should work in the communities interest and this appears to be the way we are going.
And as it turns out they are writing it in a way that I may not be able to have any anyways. I have a huge yard on a corner and since its on the corner, the land is considered all front yard. This ordinance prevents any front yard use.
In the end and the draft is going to council for approval and a public hearing.
And in the end I may just bust out of this insane place.

No ordinance means you can do it.
Ordinances have to allow for all uses. If a subject is not in the Code of Ordinances then it is permitted.
Not necessarily. If you are talking permitted zoning uses, many places have rules of constructions that explicitly state that unless a use is specifically permitted, it is not allowed.

UPDATE: First off sorry for dropping the thread here. My husband did something and erased all the cookies, I couldnt get into my account, couldnt remember the password or which email.
Anyways. After many months of our Planning Commission working on an ordinance, they almost scrapped it. Saying just because Council asked us to look into it, doesn't mean we need to write something. Mind you, I had a petition with 40 some signatures in support. Which is impressive given the size of the town and that was in a short time.
I was told to be quiet at tonights meeting when I suggested General Village Code dictates that they should work in the communities interest and this appears to be the way we are going.
And as it turns out they are writing it in a way that I may not be able to have any anyways. I have a huge yard on a corner and since its on the corner, the land is considered all front yard. This ordinance prevents any front yard use.
In the end and the draft is going to council for approval and a public hearing.
And in the end I may just bust out of this insane place.
Be there for the public hearing with your full set of supporters. Be sure to circulate the draft ahead of time, along wth commentary on what you consider to be its problems. Contact (written and mailed) each council member with your concerns and follow that up with a phone call.

Thanks for all the tips!! I will use them!!! This seems to have turned into a personal vendetta against me, because our story keeps ending up in the papers. I'm not calling the papers, but I keep repeating the facts when the paper comes and they don't like it!

I'm proud of you MaryLang!
celebrate.gif
I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up your fight for what's right. Keep up your crusade for your right to keep and bear chickens.

You are probably correct. The "Powers That Be" do not(!) appreciate anyone who questions their 'authority' even though the questions are coming from those who gave them that authority in the first place, and they certainly don't like the spotlight of public opinion shining on their actions. Keep the names of those folks in mind when next you enter the ballot box.

By the way, did you ever bring your chickens home?

Hey Old Guy43- I AM on the ballot this fall!!! Running for Village Council!

My chickens died on my in-laws farm. They had never been separated before, and when a dog got one of them, the other died soon after of natural causes (stress?).

Back
Top Bottom