no progress on pipped egg..update...BABIES!!!!

bangor777

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
my pipped egg from yesterday at noon hasn't made any progress, i haven't seen any movement or heard any peeps this morning. Should I do something????

Last edited:
I just looked again and I could see movement inside the egg. no egg rocking, no peeping, no progress. The hole is no bigger than yesterday.

I had the same problem last week,the chick could not get out due to a dry membrane, I helped it a little ,enough to enable it to get out .The shell was a little bloody but the chick is fine now.

so, if I helped would I 'zip' the shell with tweezers? if i loosen the top would the chick be able to finish?

Yes, I used tweezers where the chick had piped ,when I saw blood I stopped and she gathered enough strength to finish herself. Let me know what happens.

Thanks joy,
I'll give it a few more hours and if no progress from the baby I'll try that.
fl.gif

It may well take them 24 hours to start zipping after pipping. I just hatched 15 last week and that is exactly what happened. However, once they started zipping they were all zipped and out within 6 hours. Be patient. Pipping is the best sign...they have to rotate in the shell and it takes time and energy.

It takes 24 hours or longer from the time they start their pip of the shell til they zip out....they are resting , finishing absorbing their yolk sac and learning to breathe in air....

Last edited:
ok....first pheasant born at 8 am (not the original pipped one though
smile.png
) now have four beautiful babies. most were really quick....pip, zip, out in 10 minutes. The first one took hours
and hours but made it!!!!

This is just amazing! I'll probably post pics tomorrow, I have to use a different computer. Thanks for all the help everyone! I couldn't have done it alone!!!!!!:aww

Back
Top Bottom