No rooster but broody hen.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
1 of my Barred Rocks is broody I believe, I never see her out in the run eating or drinking, the coop does have food and water. Since I have a roll out nest box she only ever has 1 egg under her and when she gets up that one rolls out. My ? is should I do anything or just let her be?

I would put her in broody jail for a few days until she stops brooding. A broody hen will continue to sit, expecting to hatch chicks, which will eventually be unhealthy for her. The picture below is of my broody jail setup. You want to remove all her privacy so she can't "keep her eggs warm."

b4cf05ef-fbdb-4335-8d01-4f2472967f47-1_all_2210.jpg

1 of my Barred Rocks is broody I believe, I never see her out in the run eating or drinking, the coop does have food and water. Since I have a roll out nest box she only ever has 1 egg under her and when she gets up that one rolls out. My ? is should I do anything or just let her be?
I would put her in broody jail for a few days until she stops brooding. A broody hen will continue to sit, expecting to hatch chicks, which will eventually be unhealthy for her. The picture below is of my broody jail setup. You want to remove all her privacy so she can't "keep her eggs warm."

View attachment 3827869
That's a great idea for a broody setup!

View attachment 3827869
That's a great idea for a broody setup!!

The question is, what do you want. Do you want more chicks (are you able to handle more chicks),do you want her to stay broody, or would you prefer to break her?

If breaking her is what you'd like, then @Lacy Duckwing has given you some great tips.

If you'd like for her to care for some chicks, or hatch some eggs, then do what @Mrs. K has given you a good plan to follow. Roll away nesting boxes aren't the best nesting boxes for a broody hen. As you've already discovered, she's having a hard time keeping eggs under her. You'll have to either wait 21 days or so, and give her some chicks, or move her to a nest more suited for brooding, and hope she doesn't break

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

View attachment 3827869
I will keep this in mind, good idea.

Back
Top Bottom