no-shell eggs

JeepChicken

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 6, 2008
Charlotte, MI
for the longest time... months.... i have not found an egg from any of my five silver-laced Wyandottes. They are about a year and a half old. I thought something was eating the eggs before I could get them. "something" was..... the chickens! because it seems all of them are laying eggs with no shells. They have layer feed, scratch and free range... So I'm wondering, is it the breed, the feed? Seems like they'd be getting their calcium from the layer feed and they're not so old..... What do y'all think? I read about the crushed oyster shells, the apple cider vinager..... is that the general suggestion for me too? And how do I accomplish that when they range all over and have their choice of what they eat and where they drink?

Thanks for whatever suggestions I get!

We have year old sex-links and a couple of them have started laying thin shelled eggs. They too get layer feed, have access to oyster shell grit and free range. They also get food scraps, mostly veggies.

My only thought is for you to add the oyster shell by choice, and maybe take them off the scratch.

One of ours has started molting and I was wondering if the thin shell layers may be next to molt?

one thing though, there is so much info on this site for hen lays thin shell/ no shell eggs that you should take some time to read and make notes. i do remember that they say when a hen is molting, egg production will slow down and Possibly (a big possibility) that it can lead to thin shell egg. again, you do need to read what others discussed on this topic. I want to give you one big personal advice that I personally have learned in many hard ways - do limit food scraps that you give out to your chickens - most of our foods contain high level of sodium, sugar, fat, protein, etc. and it will sooner or later affect your chickens' overall well-being. please trust me on this one. I know all green veggies are very good to give out to chickens though.
good luck with your hens

Thanks to both of you. I had thought at one time maybe they were getting too much scratch, but da hubby refused to cut it back because "they like it so much....." Well, maybe that's my whole problem! ;) Thanks again!

I do mean veggies and occasional bread when I say food scraps. Also, we bake (to dry out) and crumble egg shells and give them back to the chickens. They like them and it returns them some calcium. Try that instead of scratch.

Back
Top Bottom