No Waste Duck Feeder...Does it exist?

jenniemig

Songster
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Is there anyone who has found/made a duck feeder that limits/eliminates wasting feed? if so PLEASE post pictures.

I have one that I made for my chickens, and it works well, but the ducks will not use it. I guess sticking their heads in a hole to eat is a phobia of theirs, they're MUCH more skittish than the chickens.

I would like to start fermenting eventually, BUT for now I need something to accommodate dry crumbles. Chickens tend to peck for their food, where the ducks shovel.

Thanks in advance!

Ok so my reply is pending moderator approval since I included a link to a pic from my Pinterest acct....? I'm new so not sure what that's about... But anyhow. Maybe you can google it. Basically a PVC pipe that spills into a corner cat litter pan ( like an automatic feeder sort of. ) the opening would be bigger so maybe not as scary. You could mount it high enough for them to reach but not make a mess. Anyhow pictures are worth a thousand words so I hope the moderator will approve the link and pass it along to you. Good luck!

I use these. and mine don't waste food, ducks are vacuums lol chickens oye.. i can always tell when they have been near the ducks feed.. as it's scattered everywhere! but the ducks clean it up.

Mine have lids.. i have two of these out there with the big flock.. they hold 50lbs of feed, then i have another hanging metal feeder 25lbs in the main barn.

-forgot they are not elevated, flat on the ground.
wink.png

Last edited:
I use these. and mine don't waste food, ducks are vacuums lol chickens oye.. i can always tell when they have been near the ducks feed.. as it's scattered everywhere! but the ducks clean it up.

Mine have lids.. i have two of these out there with the big flock.. they hold 50lbs of feed, then i have another hanging metal feeder 25lbs in the main barn.

-forgot they are not elevated, flat on the ground.
wink.png

DH made one similar to this - 5 gallon bucket with a 'dish' under it.

It sits inside the old duck house (dog house kit from Lowe's), so it stays dry. Any food spilled goes on the floor of the food house. Either the ducks or the chickens will clean up what is on the floor. When it is empty, I do not refill until they've cleaned up all the crumbs.
And I don't feed crumble to my adults. I will have to go back to crumbles once these 2 new ones join the flock, but as soon as i can go back to layer feed, it will be pellets again. I hate crumble.

Wow realy. Mines on the ground and there is so much food wasted.

Nope mine clean it all up.. but then their are a few out there lol they are foraging birds... so are extremely good at cleaning and looking for food. I also don't put copious amounts of feed out, enough for the day and i keep the one in the barn filled but again, they are usually empty by days end.

I don't have a crumb here either, i find with so many bills pounding away they turn it to dust lol

Last edited:
DH made one similar to this - 5 gallon bucket with a 'dish' under it.

It sits inside the old duck house (dog house kit from Lowe's), so it stays dry. Any food spilled goes on the floor of the food house. Either the ducks or the chickens will clean up what is on the floor. When it is empty, I do not refill until they've cleaned up all the crumbs.
And I don't feed crumble to my adults. I will have to go back to crumbles once these 2 new ones join the flock, but as soon as i can go back to layer feed, it will be pellets again. I hate crumble.

You probably could easily enough, i admit my to-do list is way to long so i opted for store bought.. the lazy route in other words.
gig.gif

We didn't find what we were looking for, so DH offered to make it. I said sure. Then he made a bigger one when I said "I wish it were bigger" lol

Back
Top Bottom