No wire fencing required for chicken run?

Freezer? No way. The power goes out here all the time and we never ever pack our freezer because we never know when the power will go out for 4-5 days.
I agree that a freezer is not a good choice if your power goes out like that.

I'm afraid if the power goes out randomly for four or five days at a time, you won't be able to raise day-old-chicks. They need heat.
If the power outages are seasonal, it may be possible to raise chicks at certain seasons.

Maybe raise chicks in the warmest part of the year, and research things like a huddle box or wool hen that help chicks stay warmer without electricity, to use as a backup if the power does go out. Electric heat for chicks is more important when the temperature is 20 degrees than when the temperature is 80 degrees.

You might see if you can source agricultural gleanings, like wheat with a lot of dirt and pebbles in it from cleaning out the thresher, that kinda stuff is great.
That's an interesting point. Grain with dirt is not good for people to eat, or for mixing into a commercial animal feed, but chickens could pick the grains out of the dirt quite easily.

I'm confident that I can get more eggs for 20 dollars using live birds than buying them. Even if the savings is pennys its worth it. When the net loss is pennies, I'll quit. :) I think it'll work out.

I hope it does work out well!

I don't think I'll be raising chicks, I'll let a momma hen do it and most birds don't hatch off chicks in the dead of winter so if my power goes out it will have zero effect on the livelihood of my babies :)

There is nothing "commercial" about this area. The local supermarket is over an hour away and to find something like a commercial grain processor? 300 miles out. Good idea though. This place has nothing. I went out and about today looking for scrap wire. Other than a 2x2 piece I found folded up in an old hunting cabin, there were none at all. A guy I know about 20miles away raises game roosters but he won't give you anything or barter. He tells me he can't let go of anything with today's prices and all. People won't even give you a single tomato when they come in. They say, "Sorry, I don't give away any produce, I have too much work/money in it, but yet you will see them rot on the vine.

I'm going to have extra and they will be given to someone that will use it or someone in need.

Has anyone seen the story/video where this person askes a homeless person if they could spare some change, and even though it probably is their last quarter, they give it to the person? When asked why would they give thier last quarter to someone else they reply, "because I know whats its like to do without and not have any help"

Its not like I'm asking for a bushel. Hey could you spare a tomato or have any scrap chicken wire? NO! and the door slams shut.

It really goes well beyond that with the people here but its not for this thread.

@teddyjames I meant that if you order chicks from Murray McMurray, you'll have to provide them heat.

When we got dirty grain and beans they came out of the combine harvester at the farm, the fellow who worked and maintained it would bag some for us. If a person was near a mill, they might be able to get chaff that still has quite a few grains in it that chickens could pick out. I'm not sure.

It sounds like you're a wizard gardener and have space, so you might be able to cut the chicken feed bill to next to nothing by growing some fodder type stuff (alfalfa, clover, pigeon-peas, cereal grains) that's sort of peculiar to have in the garden.

The lack of generosity around you is shameful.

Raising birds to laying age is the actual expense behind Point of Lay pullets. By the time they get to laying age you have sunk in more than you expect.
I sell extra POL pullets for $30 each, that's just covering expenses. Heat lamp, electricity, feeders and waterers, it really adds up.

But if you want to raise your own, keep in mind shipping and other costs - you're financially better off going to your feed store on chick days, or finding a local keeper with chicks.
If you want to save money on feed, Leghorns are #1. RIR eat a bit more per egg.
Leghorns are one of the most predator savvy breeds too.

Pallet fence with lime white wash

Attachments

• WP_20211004_16_59_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20211004_16_59_50_Pro.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 17
You should be able to find pallets for free, you just have to look in the right places. Try building a fence out of old pallets to keep them in. As for a covering, you could take the slabs from the pallets and place them about a foot apart from each other so the hawks can't get in.
I do know where I live, ACE Hardware lets you take them for free, just ask. Some Feed and Seed (local outfits) will also give them away. Home Depot and Lowes also gives away "trash lumber"---very nice-just have to cut out the nails at the ends. Good luck!

You should be able to find pallets for free, you just have to look in the right places. Try building a fence out of old pallets to keep them in. As for a covering, you could take the slabs from the pallets and place them about a foot apart from each other so the hawks can't get in.
Our local hardware store have a few free pallets a month for pick up. An ad in a local swap & buy guide might yield good results.
Best to you!

I don't think I'll be raising chicks, I'll let a momma hen do it and most birds don't hatch off chicks in the dead of winter so if my power goes out it will have zero effect on the livelihood of my babies :)

There is nothing "commercial" about this area. The local supermarket is over an hour away and to find something like a commercial grain processor? 300 miles out. Good idea though. This place has nothing. I went out and about today looking for scrap wire. Other than a 2x2 piece I found folded up in an old hunting cabin, there were none at all. A guy I know about 20miles away raises game roosters but he won't give you anything or barter. He tells me he can't let go of anything with today's prices and all. People won't even give you a single tomato when they come in. They say, "Sorry, I don't give away any produce, I have too much work/money in it, but yet you will see them rot on the vine.

I'm going to have extra and they will be given to someone that will use it or someone in need.

Has anyone seen the story/video where this person askes a homeless person if they could spare some change, and even though it probably is their last quarter, they give it to the person? When asked why would they give thier last quarter to someone else they reply, "because I know whats its like to do without and not have any help"

Its not like I'm asking for a bushel. Hey could you spare a tomato or have any scrap chicken wire? NO! and the door slams shut.

It really goes well beyond that with the people here but its not for this thread.
Cracks me up how many folks suggest pallets when you SAID you don't have a vehicle...Yeah, I was a Bus Bunny, Professional Pedestrian, in 3 busy suburbs, years ago.
The loose dogs you mentioned MAY be an issue. Some will eat chickens as soon as look at you.
You sound pretty self sufficient. Wood scraps, Downed saplings, wire, you'll probably get SOMETHING put together.. A coop is a deterrent. if they WANT in, they WILL get IN. Chickens WILL LET YOU KNOW if something isn't right, IF They're AWAKE. Something to keep them IN at Night, is Good. Daytime, the Roo will keep watch, what a Good Rooster Does. I Don't butcher, only have them for eggs, Roos to protect the girls. I DO COMPLETELY FREE RANGE. Foxes, coyotes, occasional hawk, all I've seen across the years. Why I keep dogs. A dog's Scent, will keep some, most walking predators away. If something is lurking atop the mountain behind my place, the chickens, dogs, etc. WILL Let me know. I go out, Holler, everyone calms down again..
Not all hens, even with a rooster, will have chicks each year. I had one Leghorn hen give me 2 batches of chicks. Over 10y, that's been it.
All mine roost on B porch. I rake up the poop, let it AGE, sell it. Makes for GREAT fertilizer. Most Serious gardeners KNOW that. HAS TO AGE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR.
I have plywood, pallets, what I could scavenger, against posts of b porch. Lost 10 chickens about year ago cause they could hop up, grab & go with My Girls!!:smack😤
I use the 50lb feed sacks on the bottom of banana boxes, free at most markets, to drag over firewood. Tie another feed sack around the bottom, protect from snow, wide strap to drag it... Line with straw, pine needles, hens May lay eggs in them also. Especially, if it's covered with something..They like darker places to lay...
I'm a FIRM believer in IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GOT, IT'S WHAT YOU *DO* WITH IT.. Why so many of my neighbors Gossip, they Can't Compete.:lau:gig:clap
If you have a bank account, can you start a GoFund Account? Someone here may get tweaked if you advertised HERE but I could throw $5. $10. your way via that way. A LONG as not going to someone's liver or Lungs.. Hugs, and good luck!

Last edited:
Hope someone can help.

My backstory: I'm 67yrs old. Kinda desperate. I have always worked for myself and never had a "real" job. I have been poor all my life but it's not been too bad overall, even though I have no retirement, a money pit for a car, and don't own this trailer that my nephew lets us stay in for free. (Thanks Joe) I make ends meet on $550 per month with a little bit added in the form of government food assistance. We visit the local food banks but we get more black beans than anything. The occasional can of tuna or spam comes in real handy late in the month. Currently my family of four can not afford to eat the whole month. We resort to eating ramen the last week or so before my benefits come in. In order to try and not starve the last week of the month, we have decided to try and raise some chickens to help supplement our diet in the form of eggs and meat. We have some locals who will donate a some birds. I have some wood scrap that might be enough to make a coop. Problem is that wire fencing is so expensive! I'm afraid we are going to have to do something else.

Is there any way to give chickens room to peck and eat grass and stuff without using a wire fence? How did the pilgrims do it some 300 years ago without wire? We have to have something strong and covered because there are dogs, hawks and coyotes all around.

Back
Top Bottom