Nobody has a answer? HELP!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by couponsaver47, Sep 15, 2010.

1. couponsaver47

couponsaver47 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Am I tagged as a bad person?
    All I want to know is how long it is before goose eggs hatch?
    Also, are geese like chickens & only lay one egg per day?
    Our goose has been setting on eggs for 2 days but we have 9 eggs in the nest.
    Thnx for any help!!

2. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Google says 29 - 31 days. Yes, they only lay one per day. They will "set" once they figure they have enough.

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Goose eggs take 28 to 35 days to hatch, depending on the breed.

A goose will not lay more than one egg per day. She most likely will not lay as many eggs per week as a chicken.

Your goose may have been sitting for 2 days, but she was laying the eggs for at least 10 to 14 days before she started sitting....... unless you have other geese. In that case, several females may be laying in the same nest. If this is a possibility, then you need to prevent the other females from continuing to lay eggs in the sitting goose's nest or the hatch date will be too staggered. Once the eggs start to hatch, the goose will only stay with the eggs for about two days and then will abandon the rest to care for her hatchlings.

Chel

4. couponsaver47

couponsaver47 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    Gwen & Eggchel, Thanks so much for the answers. I had posted earlier but nobody was answering.

Now for a new Question.

As we are in mid Sept. & this is her first eggs, will they hatch, or should I take her offf the eggs & get rid of them?

Thanks again for the help!![​IMG]

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    If you aren't in an area where its warm during the winter
    I wouldn't raise goslings, ducklings or chicks this time of year.
    You'd be better off to wait until spring.
    Good luck!

6. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Number one, do you have a male? Two- geese usually lay every other day (mine do anyway) three, I agree with the other posting regarding not letting them hatch unless you are somewhere warm or you could always raise them in a barn etc. for a few weeks with access to a light or something. More than likely they will not even be fertile seeing as it is so late in the year and this is her first time. Ours that were a year this spring layed like crazy with not a one being fertile, but all of the other breeding pens were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by