Noise Blind?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Greetings from my own personal sanctuary!
My Spitzhauben also says hello!
20190925_135506.jpg

Now onto a query!
I recently had company over, and they stood on my porch smoking. (I don't allow smoking in the house.) It was a pleasant day, warm and sunny, so we spent time outside conversing.

Then, out of nowhere, they say: "Your birds are loud."

This took me by surprise because I have never thought of them as loud. The girls are generally quiet and happy, talking and whistling and chirping, throwing in an egg song when appropriate. And I love when the boys crow.

In my mind, it's nature. It's like songbirds and crickets and wind. I don't think of it as loud or noisy.

But my guests do.
Perhaps I've gone noise blind? I'm just so used to it that I don't even register it as loud?

Well, I think we do get used to sounds that we hear regularly. Most hens I know, are not what I'd consider loud, however, except on rare occasions, for a short period. The crows around my house are a lot louder on a regular basis than my hens are.They are certainly not as bad as leaf blowers, or the loud music I hear coming from some cars in traffic.

There is a lot of noise in today's world. Nothing shows silence; Whether it is the motorcycle on a road off your street, a gunshot being fired at hunting season, or the humming of a refrigerator... Nothing is ever really quiet.

I love the sounds of nature. Rain, wind, crickets, Spring peepers, birds singing, Woodpeckers drilling, animals crunching in the woods. Even roosters crowing and hens clucking.

To most people, chickens are very loud. I sometimes agree (ever hear Guineas? Goodness, they're miles louder!) But within time, it stops fazing me. I may be in denial, but I rather chickens talking than politics on the T.V. and noises that aren't from nature.

I'm proud to be noise blind when it comes to society! ;)

Well, I think we do get used to sounds that we hear regularly. Most hens I know, are not what I'd consider loud, however, except on rare occasions, for a short period. The crows around my house are a lot louder on a regular basis than my hens are.They are certainly not as bad as leaf blowers, or the loud music I hear coming from some cars in traffic.
Thank you so much for sharing this and making the comparison! I live in the country where the nearest neighbors is a little ways off. Traffic alone seems loud to me. But chickens? Therapeutic.

There is a lot of noise in today's world. Nothing shows silence; Whether it is the motorcycle on a road off your street, a gunshot being fired at hunting season, or the humming of a refrigerator... Nothing is ever really quiet.

I love the sounds of nature. Rain, wind, crickets, Spring peepers, birds singing, Woodpeckers drilling, animals crunching in the woods. Even roosters crowing and hens clucking.

To most people, chickens are very loud. I sometimes agree (ever hear Guineas? Goodness, they're miles louder!) But within time, it stops fazing me. I may be in denial, but I rather chickens talking than politics on the T.V. and noises that aren't from nature.

I'm proud to be noise blind when it comes to society! ;)
Thank you for this wonderful response. I agree with you tenfold about preferring animals and nature to politics and the like.
As for guineas- I have 8 (two adults and 6 juveniles). I love all their noises! Even the alarmed/angry sound when something is strange and upsetting. I especially love their little whistles when they have found food!
20190925_141614.jpg

Thank you for this wonderful response. I agree with you tenfold about preferring animals and nature to politics and the like.
As for guineas- I have 8 (two adults and 6 juveniles). I love all their noises! Even the alarmed/angry sound when something is strange and upsetting. I especially love their little whistles when they have found food!
View attachment 1919453

Beautiful birds! Very photogenic! Guineas do have very intriguing noises. I absolutely love their whistling of happiness and the alarm call... they are wonderful watch-birds. I've had them longer than I have chickens, and I think they are very intelligent!

The 'found food' sound is the best!! I have a male Guinea that wanders the barn every morning. I'll throw him sunflower seeds as a treat and he'll continue chattering before returning to his coop!

Back
Top Bottom