Noisy BSL Hen-7 months old- help!

Thanks! I am excited to try it and report back. I was trying to research chicken psychology yesterday but there is nothing really written that I could find!

I am really hoping this works- the fact that she is 90% more quiet when we are not there leads me to believe it will

fl.gif

TOUGH LOVE: Day 1

So Jolene was so quiet all day yesterday while we were at work (thanks for spying chicken cam!) When we got home at 6pm she heard the car door, saw us in the house and started screaming her head off. So what did I do? Ignored her and her bad behavior- in less than a minute she calmed down and it was business as usual. I did not go out to greet them or let them free range as I figured that she needs to understand that if we come home it does not mean we are going to immediately drop everything and run and give her treats. I will continue posting the progress but I am looking to do this for a week to see if she stops screaming when she hears us come home. My mom also confirmed that when she takes care of the girls if we go away for a day or two- they do not scream when they see her and she has never given them treats..

food for though!

You're finding out that, yes, chickens can be trained.

Your early results indicate you should experience success in this little endeavor.

Interesting subject. My Faverolles are the same. If I'm out in the yard or messing in their coop they get pretty noisy (with the Faverolles "WARBLE WARBLE WARBLE"). Once I'm inside or gone, they are quiet.

It's not really an issue for us, but in case it does become one, it's good to know :)

I wish it was a warble- she sounds like a goose in distress. I love her everyday noises and clucks and whistles- but when she screams like a dying goose for no reason I am thinking it is time for a retrain of this bad behavior
wink.png

If I could post a video of it I would- but I am hoping that at the end of this week things will be better, and then next week we will start to let her out to free range after work if she behaves after week 1.

Regardless we are building her and the other two girls a large extension to their existing run.

TOUGH LOVE: Day 2

So my husband was home from work an hour before me yesterday so he followed the tough love protocall and did not pay any attention to the girls. Jolene was noisy for a little bit and then settled down. He said she was significantly less noisy than the day before (could she be getting the hint?!) When I came home from work an hour later the girls were excited that I was home and running in their run, but not a peep came from them. So far so good.... will report more on my findings each day.

smile.png

TOUGH LOVE: Day 3

So I feel as if not much progress was made yesterday- when we came home she was noisy for a few minutes and then settled down for the evening. I was hoping she would be silent by now lol. Tonight we will not be home before she retires for the night- so at least I know she will be quiet!

TOUGH LOVE: Day 4

Came home after the girls went to bed last night so no new findings except she was quiet all day. Today it is raining and she is always more quiet when it rains so I am hoping tonight will be a quiet one when we get home. Tomorrow is Saturday and we are home all day- so the true test begins. Now the question is how do I handle tomorrow- continue to ignore the bad behavior and let them out if they are quiet correct? I hope this will work!

Back
Top Bottom