Noisy chick!

SuffolkGirl

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
UK
I need help! I have two chicks both 5 days old. The past two days around 7pm onwards the bigger of the two starts cheeping his head off. So loud I can hear him from downstairs over the tv.
I’ve made sure they have eaten (constant supply of food) and they have clean water. I’ve raised the brooder plate. Lowered it. Tilted it. Poo is normal and often. Other chick doesn’t do it just this one. He doesn’t do it during the day just the evening. They have a teddy in there which they play on quite a lot and snuggle with. The room is warm no drafts. I’m up and down the stairs every 10 mins trying to figure out what’s wrong but I just can’t seem to get it right.
I don’t know what else I can do. He stops as soon as I go up so is it just cos I’m not there?
I feel they bad don’t have a mummy but I don’t know how to help!!

Last edited:
Your chicks could be chirping for a variety of reasons. Often chirping signals that the chicks are experiencing one of many emotions including being: too cold, too hot, hungry, thirsty, excited, alarmed, afraid, or even sick.

Check the temperature, check for signs of sickness, and check their feet. Sometimes they might have something stuck to their feet like a hair that is bothering them. Sometimes it’s normal for them to cry a lot.

Your chicks could be chirping for a variety of reasons. Often chirping signals that the chicks are experiencing one of many emotions including being: too cold, too hot, hungry, thirsty, excited, alarmed, afraid, or even sick.

Check the temperature, check for signs of sickness, and check their feet. Sometimes they might have something stuck to their feet like a hair that is bothering them. Sometimes it’s normal for them to cry a lot.
It’s odd he does it the same time every night. I’ve checked everything I can think off. Checked his bum wings face the lot. As soon as I go in the room he stops. But then I wasn’t sure I was being mad thinking he’s just doing it for attention 🙈🙈

I've had this too, usually one per hatch that's the sentry... It's 7:15 and allll is welllll.... I strung up some white Christmas lights, the low electric, no heat (led) lights in the brooding room. Dramatically reduced the calling for me. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I've had this too, usually one per hatch that's the sentry... It's 7:15 and allll is welllll.... I strung up some white Christmas lights, the low electric, no heat (led) lights in the brooding room. Dramatically reduced the calling for me. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Do you think a little night light or something would help? The other one is perfectly fine. He’s perfectly fine until about 7 then he just starts shouting his head off for a good hour. Only when I’m not there as well. As soon as I go in he stops

As already mentioned, it could be for a variety of reasons. I've had a chick in a batch that would make noise because IT was too hot. Not the others lol. I've also had a chick in a batch that would make noise if not everyone was together in the box. I've also had chicks make noise if they were cold, or even if they ended up getting their feet in their water. I'd mess around with things until you might be able to pin-point and see what would make the chick comfortable.

I ran into this often until I started leaving the lights on for them in the form of a red light LED bulb. Here in the US you can get one at any Walmart, but there are many other sources. It's a 7.5W LED, equivalent of a 60W incandescent. It's eliminated the trauma the chicks experience when things go pitch dark. When they get older I set up a flourescent light with a digital on/off timer which turns on around sundown for about an hour. Sort of a "leave the light on". It really cuts down on stragglers when they first get to leave the coop for the day. They learn quickly that when the light comes on, it's time to turn in for the day. Now I don't have to crawl under the coop, or climb up on rooftops to wrangle all of the teenagers on their first big night out.

Back
Top Bottom