Noisy Hen - In the City

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rocketrob, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rocketrob

Rocketrob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    San Francisco
    My Rouen hen Bubbles has produced, hatched, raised and placed her first brace(?). and with it she seems quite proud of herself and full of herself and now has a supreme attitude of entitlement.

She is doing multiple Loud Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack calls very early in the morning and it has been made even worse by recent adoption of daylight savings time. Someone has not reset her clock.

This is an dense urban setting and legally I can keep hens and drakes but I feel it is just getting rude. And especially after reading Amiga's Good Neighbor thread…...

A friend subscribed to a local email list about neighbor parents called my attention to a recent posting where someone was complaining and asking where "That" duck lives…..

Originally I thought my Drake might be problematic but Tofu is a real calm gentlemen and so proud and protective of his bride Bubbles and daughter Miso he stays back every evening during the duck roundup to stay between me and his girls as they scurry to their coop for evening safekeeping. And all he ever let's out is a monotone non enthusiastic quack quack, but Bubbles on the other hand can be heard for two blocks when she goes off.

To try to head this off I let them out between 5:30 and 6 am and feed and water but then she goes off 15 min later.

Really do not want to give them up but even my wife and daughter are turning against them.
    And I have great neighbors and don't want to be a jerk.

Can I remove her quacker?
    Can I muzzle her?
    Can I wrap her beak with velcro strap every night?
    Can I shoot her with my slingshot using felt balls when she goes off?
    Can I put a barking shock collar on her?

As you can tell from my list, getting pretty desperate[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is her babies still there? out of sight out of mind. maybe.

3. Rocketrob

Rocketrob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    San Francisco
    Babys are long gone….Miso is one hen we kept and she is indistinguishable from Bubbles except quiter and much more timid and has not started laying yet.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have Muscovy's which are basically very quiet, but from all the reading I have done on here some ducks most of them can be very loud. Sometimes they are hungry sometimes scared but sometimes they just like to quack, Maybe try bribery by offering some yummy eggs to the neighbors. Or if they are out in the open maybe put sides on the run so they can't see out and be stimulated by what's going on around them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by