Noisy hens--might disturb neighbors

To be honest, if you're THAT worried about the sound your chickens make, maybe you should rehome them. I don't see the spray bottle thing working out that well. I know chickens can be trained, but I don't think you can train them to be silent.
Agrees^^^

Pullets/hens can be just as loud as cock/erels.

The responding to their sounds with treats will definitely keep them making the noises.

Talk to your neighbors and see if it bothers them. There isn't much you can do to stop the noise but open communication might prevent an issue

To be honest, if you're THAT worried about the sound your chickens make, maybe you should rehome them. I don't see the spray bottle thing working out that well. I know chickens can be trained, but I don't think you can train them to be silent.

i'm not training them to be silent though..

just when they are making noises that are too loud

this is their way of calling me to give them treats or let them out..

i think i have to train them or at least try to

i can't always give them treat..

since letting out all day is a bad idea..

this was my garden.. and this is my garden now..
roll.png

Actually, they may have you trained.....you may have to go thru a 'stop responding to their calls' period, which could be even louder and longer.
Or set up a remote garden sprayer to set off out of sight that blasts them with water without showing your face.

Actually, they may have you trained.....you may have to go thru a 'stop responding to their calls' period, which could be even louder and longer.
Or set up a remote garden sprayer to set off out of sight that blasts them with water without showing your face.
Agreed. If you go out to give them treats (even if occasionally) or let them out (again - even if occasionally), they have learned that if they make the noise, the human will hopefully respond in a favorable manner. Therefore, we will continue to make noise hoping it works this time.

that might work.. only if i have enough eggs :/

i'll try negative reinforcement with my hens..

will use a spray bottle (with water).. let see if it will work..

i think this is their way of calling me out to give them treats or letting them out..
To me, it's just not fair to use negative reinforcement to keep a chicken from making normal chicken noises.

Don't torture your chickens. If you do things to them, you will succeed only in making them fear you. What's the point? Have you asked your neighbors if hen talk bothers them? If it does, and free eggs does nothing to alleviate the problem, then rehome the birds.

I don't think I would go looking for trouble!
I get along with my neighbors quite well but they are neighbors not friends. They both do things that bug me that I tolerate. The neighbor on one side had 2 barking dogs that I put up with. These guys are never home. I have told them long time ago that if it wasn't for my girls they would hear from me. The neighbor on the other waters out of turn & far too much. California is on the middle of a drought! My lawn is dead, I'm sure they are not too happy about that. I'm gonna have to break out the lawnmower in the next couple days. Why? To mow a strip cause of their overspray. TOLERANCE! Gotta have it!

To me, it's just not fair to use negative reinforcement to keep a chicken from making normal chicken noises.
Don't torture your chickens. If you do things to them, you will succeed only in making them fear you. What's the point? Have you asked your neighbors if hen talk bothers them? If it does, and free eggs does nothing to alleviate the problem, then rehome the birds.

as i stated before.. just the Bruce Call
roll.png
(my family named it)

i can hear it pretty loudly from inside the house (built 2007).. through double pane glasses..when sitting about 10+ ft from the windows

their run is pretty much in the middle of the backyard-- so i don't think i can move it elsewhere

i do not want to board it up since i want plenty of ventilation and sun light for them

normal chicken sounds would be fine.. but no Bruce Call

Last edited:
it think some of the users here will like this

I gave up..
roll.png

since they ate most my plants and the heat killed off rest in the raised garden bed..

i'm moving the remaining plants to the sides of the house and just block off those areas. i'll just let them free range all day from now on.. they are pretty quite when they are free ranging around the yard..

i guess those calls are like the "let me out" calls...

i know the next door neighbor like to feed stray cats.. but didn't have any problem for the last 4 months now.. so maybe they are safe free ranging all day..

Chickens don't like basils? basils are the only plants still standing in the ravaged raised garden bed..

Last edited:
Something no one has mentioned... Some breeds of chickens are very vocal, as others are not at all vocal. Rocks are one of the vocal breeds. I have a "mutt" Australian Lorp that clucks all day long. Also, an old saying, "A quiet chicken is a happy chicken." trying to train a chicken to not make noise will never work, since it's a matter of nature, not nurture. A water gun will just make them very unhappy, thus more vocal. I suggest doing some research before getting any breed. Since there are not too many lists that address vocal traits, talk to people who have the breed your interested in getting. Here is a good place to start. Good Luck, + Blessings

Back
Top Bottom