noisy hens

4wdingman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
I have 7 hens,1 leghorn,1 white rock and 5 isabrown and most mornings there pretty noisy with there egg laying song.
We are allowed to keep roosters but if we get complaint we will have to get rid of him.
The rule is that you have to have concrete under the roosts and there are no limits to the number of birds I can have.
I have had them for about 8 months and nothing has been said but everytime they go off I go abit funny.
Do I have anything to worry about.
What would they do if i had a complaint? would they just check out the place or what.
My chooks are kept in clean conditions and we have no neighbours at the back of our house just side to side.
What are some good ways of keeping them quiet?? or dont i have to worry about anything??

Thanks

I would talk to your neighbors and see how they feel about chickens, and the noises that come with them. Maybe bring them eggs from time to time? It's always great if people feel included.

Could be that some foam rubber could be fastened around in the coop where the chooks cannot reach it to peck at it. Would insulate and deaden sound too. Both are a plus. Another thing is to provide some entertainment for them. Mine are not too noisy and I have 24. I do have a large run with two dust bath areas and a 3rd one planned. there are also multiple outdoors roosts . You could try hanging a sweet potato or an ear of corn with a string from somwhere overhead and they will peck away at it for hours at a time.

Hens singing is a sound that brings back memories for alot of people. My neighbor thinks the roos crowing is very comforting. Laying hens singing is alot better than 99% of the noise out there.

Back
Top Bottom