Noisy sinus

PluckyJen

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
South Africa
Hi folks. As quick as i thought our first night would be peaceful with our chicks...iv heard one sneezing and now has a snotty sounding sinus. Others are fine. Also do i need to create some additional warmth in their cage? They are inside a bedroom with two cloths over. They are nestled together on a log i gave them.

Thank you in advance.

Ps. Theres no blockages in nostrils. Eyes are fine. No bubbles or anything from nose.

Last edited:
How old are the chicks? Did they come from a breeder? Make sure that your ventilation is good, and that the temperature is not overly hot. Avoid dust in feed or bedding. If there are wet spots from spilled water, clean it out and add fresh dry bedding. Respiratory diseases can be carried by chickens who have been exposed within days or weeks at another place. They can also be transmitted on clothing and shoes. Mycoplasma and coryza are some common bacterial diseases, while infectious bronchitis and ILT are some of the viral ones. Aspergillosis from mold is another. Tylan and oxytetracycline are some of the common antibiotics found in feed stores to treat respiratory bacterial diseases. Most chickens with a respiratory may need extra heat or a room around 80 degrees F.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your reply. They are 12 weeks and came from a breeder yes. Amazing place i must say. Super organised and very concious about germs. Hands and shoes constantly sanitised. Breeder thought it to be stress but i disagree as even when they are perched and sleeping, i hear it. Iv gotten Fosbac + t. Into their water just now. Have been making sure everything is clean and dust free too. Do u think i should buy a light to keep them warm? They are inside house in their cage. Its Winter here. About 14'c outside. My poor little fluff bums. One stressed mommy
263a.png

It is always good to have a heat lamp for chickens, and you can always use a regular incandescent light bulb. Or just keep them in a warm room. Panting is a sign they are too warm. Fosbac is rhe equivalent of Tylan or tylosin that is very good for respiratory diseases. I hope they get better soon. If it is MG they may be carriers.

Gosh i hope they get thru this. Today everybody has been busy eating and scuffling about in cage. Hoping all uphill from here. Think ill pop a light on for them tonight. Thanks so much for your help. :)

this is the first time I have done this. and it is off subject a little, I am treating the chickens with Tylovet soluble. and what I need to know will it hurt my ducks and geese. thanks if anyone knows

Back
Top Bottom