Non Broody Stealing Broodies Eggs

Chicksahoyfarm

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Washington
I let one of my hens sit on some eggs I bought her and did a final check on all the chickens for the night and noticed that one of the other hens took some of her eggs. This hen isn't broody but is sitting on the eggs like the other hen. I'm not sure what's going on as the other hen is in no way broody won't growl if I touch her or anything. Any help is very much appreciated.

It's common for eggs to get mixed up, moved, or otherwise disturbed when a hen is sitting on eggs in the coop with the others. The broody will also probably return to the wrong nest sometimes, and when she is sitting on the right one, another may climb in the nest with her and lay. They really do best, IMO, if isolated during the setting period, where they won't be bothered and can set in peace. You need something like a large dog crate, big enough to hold food and water, and still give the broody a little space to walk around each day for a little while.

Some people do let a broody stay with the flock in spite of the problems. It helps to mark the eggs to be hatched with a Sharpie so you can rearrange them as needed. You will probably get fewer chicks this way, but plenty of chicks have hatched this way, too.

Oh I have a similar problem right now! We have a hen who has been sitting on eggs for 2 weeks. When she got up for her daily stretch another hen sat on them and won't move (like pecking mean crazy bird). The poor gal whose being doing the work for the past 2 weeks is now sitting on an empty nest!
1f615.png
not sure what to do,

I have tried separating but she goes into overdrive to protect the nest and won't sit on the eggs. This morning all the eggs are back under her and so I think it was her sister helping her out with the eggs as these two hens have been through hell and back and rely on each other for a rock. Once the chicks hatch I will be pulling them and putting them in a different coop.

Once the chicks hatch I will be pulling them and putting them in a different coop.
There are lots of different wys of managing broodies and chicks. For myself, I separate the broody while she is setting, then turn her and her chicks loose with the flock when they are up and running afround. That way they are already integrated when the mama quits mothering them.

I have two young roosters in that coop so I am separating them for a bit until I can trust the roosters. I've tried many different things to seperate her and as I've said before she won't sit as she's in overdrive to protect.

Usually it is the hens who attack the chicks, if anyone does. Roosters here have always ignored them, but I've often read of their helping out with chicks. You'd have to watch and see how they do, of course.

Back
Top Bottom