Non-crowing rooster

ruthiesue

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Our big rooster, who had a magnificent crow, cannot hardly make a peep. He seems perfectly fine, except you can tell he is frustrated about not being able to make any noise. He does not appear lethargic, eats okay, wanders around, but I am really feeling sorry for the guy. Any ideas? Thank you.

When you figure out what happened to him be sure to let us all know so we can make it happen to OUR roosters
wink.png

Aww! Thats so sad! I bet his pride hurts...
sad.png
While I would love for my roo not to crow ALL day, I can't imagine him not being able to crow at all! Keep us updated! Sorry I can't help!

Well, he is still with us and still barely able to get out any noise. I'd take him to the bird clinic if it didn't cost $150. He is still keeping up with the other birds, but appears to me that his oxygen level might be low because his comb is sort of a purple color instead of bright red. ?? He sounds asthmatic. I wondered if he ate something that stung him? Swollen throat? I have no idea. I went in at night and checked him out up close. No runny eyes, no coughing. Just shakes his head sometimes. I'll let you know if I ever find out. Thanks for the responses.

Ahhh, now we have more info. Feel his legs. Are they warm to the touch? If so he`s running a fever. Antibiotics are required. If you can buy pennecillin at the feed store or pet supply, that should do it. If not, someone here can recommend an antibiotic, perhaps. Vick`s Vapo Rub, rub a small amount on his beak, so he can inhale it. I usually give mine Colloidal Silver from the health food store, it`s a natural antibiotic, it`s pricey, but works on everybody, even me. Good luck......Pop

I just thought of something, could it be a worm in the throat? Can you look inside with a flash light and see if you see anything? There's a worm that attaches to the trachea, grap or something similar... mind failing me, and can't remember what it's called, but I believe it does start with a g.

Back
Top Bottom