NON Emergency - Hens losing back feathers, probable overmating

tamraclovw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 6, 2012
Hi all - just trying to confirm what I suspect. Several of my older hens (last years spring chicks) have bald red patches on their lower back, above their tail. I don't see any other indication of mites, although they all need a good dusting.

I have around 6-8 laying hens, 6 more starting now, 8 chicks with mama, and 2 roosters. The only reason that I have 2 roos is that I WAS expanding my flock to have around 20-25 hens, before a spring fox attack took out half of them. I bought 24 chicks, and the fox got all but 3 a month later. I have read that I could have 1 roo for each 10-15 hens, so 2 should have been fine for 20ish

Also, the boys are from this year, young with small spurs, but they gang up on any unlucky hen. Somehow, they girls have not lost all their head feathers. I couldn't manage a picture, as they are all hiding under the coop from the heat.

Any confirmations or OTHER opinions? Should I just get rid of one of my roos? They are Black Copper Marans, and beautiful. Anyone south of Lexington, KY want one?

I agree, the roosters are probably overmating the hens. You can get your hens "saddles" which will prevent any more feathers from being ripped out. Or, you can get rid of one of the roosters. I can't have any more chickens, but I'm sure somebody would want a beautiful Black Copper Marans.
smile.png

Is a saddle just a type of sling that hooks onto their legs ans over their back>

Is a saddle just a type of sling that hooks onto their legs ans over their back>
A saddle is a piece of cloth that goes on a hen's back to prevent feather damage by a rooster. Here is a picture (not my picture):
006-8.jpg

And, here is a little information on chicken saddles, and on making chicken saddles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/222281/what-is-a-chicken-saddle-used-for-please
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/26529/chicken-saddle-making-question#post_246656

Back
Top Bottom