CannedMonster

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 26, 2017
Southwest Idaho
I need advice on breeds that don't fly well.
I don't have very tall fences (currently 4' chain link), as yet, and my chickens can jump up and over.
The funny part is they can't seem to figure out how to get back.
I have to open the gate and chase them back through.
The back fence is 6' wood, which they can't get up to without a boost.

I don't want them to get caught by a loose dog, get in neighbors yard, etc.
I will be clipping one wing on each as soon as I'm able (probably tomorrow) and I hope this puts a damper on their desire to do this.

I currently have 1 golden sex-link and 3 Black Laced Silver Wyandottes, all 5 months old.
My Dark Brahma Bantam roo is also able to jump this fence.

I'm going to get more birds as soon as we're able to build a new coop but I want to get breeds that aren't able to jump so well. I will also be putting up a 6' wood privacy fence around the rest of our yard (almost 1/2 acre) that is currently unfenced to give them more room to roam.

The breeds I wanted to get next are Speckled Sussex, Australorp, and Partridge Rocks. Do these fly well?

Almost any hen can jump a 4' fence if she's motivated. And the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I suggest that you cover your run. How big is it? You can buy bird netting that comes in 14' wide lengths. Clipping wings is easy. You only need to clip one wing, but covering your run will keep hawks out.

Juveniles tend to be better fliers than adults; they slow down a bit and gain some heft when they're older, so there's hope. I always clip the first year and seldom bother afterwards.

Australorps are fairly heavy birds, and I've never had trouble with one jumping the fence. Barred rocks do escape, but I don't know if they're the same as Partridge Rocks. Never raised Sussex.

Almost any hen can jump a 4' fence if she's motivated. And the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I suggest that you cover your run. How big is it? You can buy bird netting that comes in 14' wide lengths. Clipping wings is easy. You only need to clip one wing, but covering your run will keep hawks out.

They are free ranging in the backyard. They do have a covered run attached to their coop but I like to let them out. I just can't now unless I'm going to be home.
I keep looking out the window and seeing them on the top of the chain link or even on the other side...then I have to chase them back.
We haven't had a hawk make a try for them. There are some in the area but there's a lot of activity in the backyard between us and the dog. We live in a little neighborhood of properties anywhere from 1/2 acre to 2 acres.
The lady around the corner has a flock of about 15 with a roo. Hers free range her yard but I never see them jump her 4' chain link?
I wonder what her secret is lol? She's near a busier road.
Mine will just have to stay in their run unless one of us can babysit them.

Juveniles tend to be better fliers than adults; they slow down a bit and gain some heft when they're older, so there's hope. I always clip the first year and seldom bother afterwards.

Australorps are fairly heavy birds, and I've never had trouble with one jumping the fence. Barred rocks do escape, but I don't know if they're the same as Partridge Rocks. Never raised Sussex.

Thanks for your thoughts! I did think they would probably get heavier as they get older and not be able to jump so high.
Good to know about the Australorps. I've also heard Orpingtons don't really jump/fly well.
My former neighbor had an Americauna and I witnessed her jump from a standstill to the top of a 6' fence!
So no Americaunas for me lol. Six feet is the tallest fence we can build.

:pop The only breed I don't think can fly are Silkies, correct me if I'm wrong.
Had one pull quite a stunt on me today--she was perched up in the top of the barn for whatever reason. Well, there's a space, some fifteen feet up that is open (we drop bales down through it.) So I'm tossing scratch (whole corn) to the mallards and she wants some. She doesn't hop down the ladder. No, she leaps out of the side of the building, whirs about ten feet over, hits the snow--and bounces. Then she gets up and goes to enjoy the scratch.

:pop The only breed I don't think can fly are Silkies, correct me if I'm wrong.

:lol: Of course. I guess I should say, fly well?
I mean compared to other birds chickens can't fly that well.
Some seem to be able to jump/fly over very tall fences, like the Americauna my friend has that I mentioned above.

If they can get to the top of a 6' fence from a standstill, I guess I need to just keep them in the run all the time and not free range them...idk :idunno
But mine can't get to the top of the 6' fence so hopefully I'm good. Especially if I clip a wing.

Had one pull quite a stunt on me today--she was perched up in the top of the barn for whatever reason. Well, there's a space, some fifteen feet up that is open (we drop bales down through it.) So I'm tossing scratch (whole corn) to the mallards and she wants some. She doesn't hop down the ladder. No, she leaps out of the side of the building, whirs about ten feet over, hits the snow--and bounces. Then she gets up and goes to enjoy the scratch.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom