Non GMO Feed

farmersteph

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I could use a little help. Getting my chicks mid February.. need Non- GMO chick feed and I would like to feed them non gmo scratch grains when older. I live in MA, Brookfield area. Where can I get 50 lb bags? ( for older chickens) Don't want small bags for a big price if that's possible.. Not want to order from Amazon and pay millions for delivery. Local delivery would be ok. Any suggestions?

Have you asked Klem's if they can order you some? I don't know about the Tractor Supply out there but I have seen some of them carry organic feeds. Or is there an Agway? The one nearby has organic feed also. All are about $30-35 for a 50 lb bag.

Matt.. I have not asked Klems yet. Klems is very expensive but I'm going to talk to someone down there. I would love to get GMO food at that price!

Matt.. I have not asked Klems yet. Klems is very expensive but I'm going to talk to someone down there. I would love to get GMO food at that price!
I'm the one that mentioned Klem's. (My SIL lives in North Brookfield). I didn't think they were any more expensive than feed stores around here. I am near Chelmsford/Concord/Acton. You are just looking for non-gmo or are you trying to find no-corn, no-soy? The non-gmo will be easier to find though Green Mountain in VT makes both.

If you aren't opposed to a road trip you could try Erikson's Grain in Acton. Last I knew they carried both Green Mountain products.

Last edited:
Good for you!!!

My family and I had just picked up a 1,000 pounds of what was promoted as "all natural" feed. We toured the farm and things seem rather.... conventional. My wife had to ask. Is the corn GMO? I cringed. I didn't want to know. Besides, I just got a great deal ($11 for 40 pounds or something) and ignorance is bliss. They said it was GMO, but we had already loaded up. 2 miles out, we decided to turn around and see if they would take it back. They did, and we headed towards home w/o any feed reserves for my girls. It was hard to afford the $34 for organic so we brainstormed. That seems like a terrible day, but this is what came of it!

1. Immediately I started moving my birds everyday to new pasture using a small mobile coop and electric net. I got to where I could move the entire system for my 30 birds in just 9 minutes! Their feed needs dropped so dramatically my feed bill overall dropped even though I was paying $34 for organic feed verses $11.

Here's my birds on pasture!

2. I rationed the feed at 1/3 pound a day for each bird to start out and slowly cut back until it effected egg production to find my sweet spot. My chickens were pigging out! Now they were forced to work a bit for their food finding seeds, bugs and what not.

3. I eventually did an experiment with some broilers (heritage breed). I fed one set with commercial grain and I only free ranged another set (I only fed 1, 50 pound bag over the 1st 8 weeks of their lives). Come slaughter day, I was absolutely shocked! Not only were the free range birds MUCH MUCH Cheaper they had more fat and weighed out MORE! My costs came to only 67 cents a pound. Here's some of mine free ranging!

4. Ok, I'm going to blow your mind one more time and that's all for this post. You'll just have to watch my movie, "Permaculture Chickens" for more. This last summer, I fed only compost and kitchen scraps to my birds (in a typical chicken run). Well... technically they don't eat compost, just the amazing biota that it hosts. I cut my feed bill 100% and got 3 square yards of compost each week! Absolutely ridiculous! I still get eggs. I still get great meat. I just don't get the bill. I wrote an article about this process here: http://www.abundantpermaculture.com...0-/c1aod/04D9E998-90E2-4D88-86C4-C385310AD4A2

For more of my stuff visit http://www.abundantpermaculture.com

Keesmom.. I believe I found non GMO in the next town of Leicester. At the Agway as you suggested, 50 LB @ 30 dollars. I am so glad!
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I am going to check it out today. If they have chick starter that would be great. About how much food would 6-8 chicks eat say in a week? I need to judge the amount to have on hand. And how much would growing and adult chickens eat? I was guessing I would have to buy the adults about 50 lb. a month. ?? (layers) I haven't come upon that information in the books yet.

Steph
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I've been doing some research as well and found 'Scratch and Peck feed' - it looks like the biggest bag is 25 pounds though (can't post a link yet as I'm new). They are located way out in Washington State - far from you but wanted to mention this company in case others are closer.

I plan on using them as well as ordering supplies from Azure Standard to make my own feed. Their prices seem reasonable as well.

Back
Top Bottom