Non GMO & Organic Feed

threehens505

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Hello, thanks for initiating this conversation! I would like to know if Purina offers any non-GMO or Organic/pesticide-free feed? I make a point of buying organic food for myself and my family and don't want my own eggs to be contaminated with chemical additives, pesticides, or GMO grains from chicken feed. Has any testing been done to determine how much of what a chicken ingests is passed into the eggs (with specific focus on what I've mentioned above)?

Thanks,
Laura

I never thought of that. I do offer oyster shell. My girls are in full molt right. They are a little over 2 years. we are going to keep them even when they stop laying. they are my pets lol. I have one that hops into your lap and snuggles down she is a splash maran. I tried the feather fixer feed but bought a small bag to see if gy would eat it. They ate it right up. 18pct protein. I think it helped them feather in faster but I did grind half of it lol. When theyare done their mot maybe I will try the fermented feed. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I, too, am interested in this. I am selling my eggs to a local company that sell only organic produce and meat. To supply them eggs they required that I feed completely organic chicken feed. I had been using Layena and Dumor (which I think is a Purina product). Specifically, does either of these products use GMO corn or any kind of soy beans? I am getting my organic feed from a local company that makes the feed out of a variety of produce grown locally and does not use vitamins or ingredients of a chemical nature.

I was feeding organic but then switched as I have 2 belgian duccle bantams. They seem to have issues with bigger pellets and i have v 7 large fowl so the little ones have to get in wuick to eat. as they do all get long. the little ones learned to stay away from feeders when big girls str feeding. And i ave several feeders out. So I feed crumble. I don't seem to have as much waste as people say. The little ones go around the ground eating up what thy can. I am wondering why no one makes an organic feed n crumble All the organic feed seems to b pellet. I wish purina would offer n organic crumble.

There are organic crumbles and depending on where you are "Organic Pride" is non-gmo organic feed. Tractor supply carries it but not in my area. There are others but you have to really search. You may want to find your state's thread to ask people who are more local.

MicheleBacon, have you considered fermenting your feed? By doing so, there is no issue with pellets vs. crumbles because it has the texture of sticky oatmeal and chickens love it. Fermenting it adds prebiotics and probiotics to support digestive health and helps them to absorb more of the nutrients from their food. It also expands as it soaks so it cuts the feed bill along with other bonuses.

I have never heard of fermenting my feed. Will have to google that . Tsc near me said no organic crumbles. Same with my local feed. I think ordering on line s too costly for shipping

My local feed store said no to ordering the crumbles. Perhaps they have a minimum to meet and don't think will sell enough. I did try at one time to grind some of the pellets in my food processor but that was way too much worl lol

You could always put them on the organic chick starter/grower. It has a higher protein level than layer which is good, it just doesn't have enough calcium so you'd have to suppliment with oyster shell and/or egg shells.

Back
Top Bottom