Non laying pullet moulting?

becsmenagerie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

I have two newish pullets, one of whom is laying, one isn't. They are both around 28 weeks old. The black one (Lucy) has been laying for over a month now (champion girl, and so sweet!), and the white (Daisy) not at all.

Daisy has a red comb, and two fingers between pelvic bones. She has been dropping feathers (not heaps but noticable) so I thought she was moulting, but I have read that pullets shouldn't moult in their first year.

It is winter now in Australia, and I bought the girls in mid Autumn at 16 weeks. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm starting to think that she may just be a poor layer ane need replacing.

Any advice? Thanks

Last edited:
It common for pullets who are just at the POL as they go into winter to delay starting for quite some time. My brahma was 32 weeks when she started late this winter. Brahmas are late bloomers but the other ones (various breeds) were laying by 26 weeks. In comparison, this years pullets started laying at 19-20 weeks (same breed different season late spring/ early summer). What breed is she? I'd give her more time.

Look like I was worrying for nothing again, nice little practice egg from her this morning!

Back
Top Bottom