Non Medicated Feed, where can I find it??

AStitchofKate

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Should be getting new chicks in 2 wks or so, and they are gonna be given shots for Mareks & Coccidiosis. So to not effect the Coccidiosis vac, I would like to purchase non med starter and I can't find any. I looked online and I have seen where people have bought it, but my stores act like I speak foreign talk. lol Anyone know where I can find some, suggest a brand?? Thanks a bunch!

Are you looking at actual feed stores? Or just places like Petsmart?

I would think any feed store would have non-medicated chick starter. It is pretty standard.

If they really don't have any, you can give them pullet grower instead.

Do you have a Tractor Supply nearby? If so, get Dumor chick starter/grower if they stock it. It’s 20% protein and not medicated. If they don’t stock it, see if they will get some delivered in their next shipment. I don’t know if they will do special orders like that or not.

Mine gets their shipment in on a Wednesday. If I don’t get it by Friday, they’ve sold out and I have to wait until the next shipment.

Alaskan, my small town Ace Hardware sells chicken feed. The only Starter they have is medicated. Technically they are not a feed store but you never know what the local manager might stock.

This is my first time raising chicks,and I also got them the Coccidiosis vaccine along with the Mareks. I did not anticipate having NO luck finding non medicated feed. Out of 5 feed stores, they ALL had only medicated.Some of them occasionally carry non medicated, but of course, thinking there would be worries, I waited until chicks were due in a couple of days so feed would be fresh as possible. Soooo....I fed them medicated. They are a little over three weeks old now, and they are fine. I did loose 4 out of the 28 I started with, but it was within the first 48 hours and I believe from shipping stress. The four that died were not thriving when they arrived.
On a side note, I sure wish I had a Tractor Supply!

It was actually my tractor supply that when I called talked to me like there was no such thing! LOL I think I will make a visit and investigate myself tomorrow while Im out! Maybe it was a cashier who doesn't leave the register enough... hahaha!
wink.png
And I actually I spoke with a neighbor tonight and she told me of a feed store here local to ask, even gave me the number (SCORE!), so I think I will check these both out!! Thanks SO much for all the input everyone and info !!

I have also chosen to not give my flock medicated feed. I've raised chicks 4 times, and never had an issue with coccidiosis on non medicated feed. When I went to the feed store to buy feed last spring, they looked at me like I had 2 heads, and tried very hard to tell me that all of my birds would die if I did not give them medicated feed, and why would anyone choose to do that, and blah, blah, blah. I stood and took it until they had run out of their blah, blah, blah, (because i really needed to go home with a bag of feed that day) then calmly asked them what other kind of feed was available for chicks. They reluctantly sold me a bag of multi-flock raiser, which is higher protein than the chick starter. IMO, a far superior product. My girls were all laying at 16.5 - 17 weeks. So, my advice is, stand your ground. The feed store employees are merely giving you the party line, and honestly, I'm guessing that for the most part, it is just a job for them, and most of them have never raised a chicken, or any other livestock animal for that matter.

I have also chosen to not give my flock medicated feed. I've raised chicks 4 times, and never had an issue with coccidiosis on non medicated feed. When I went to the feed store to buy feed last spring, they looked at me like I had 2 heads, and tried very hard to tell me that all of my birds would die if I did not give them medicated feed, and why would anyone choose to do that, and blah, blah, blah. I stood and took it until they had run out of their blah, blah, blah, (because i really needed to go home with a bag of feed that day) then calmly asked them what other kind of feed was available for chicks. They reluctantly sold me a bag of multi-flock raiser, which is higher protein than the chick starter. IMO, a far superior product. My girls were all laying at 16.5 - 17 weeks. So, my advice is, stand your ground. The feed store employees are merely giving you the party line, and honestly, I'm guessing that for the most part, it is just a job for them, and most of them have never raised a chicken, or any other livestock animal for that matter.
Ugh! So sorry you had to deal with these ones too! I kinda thought the same, that a lot of these ones are probably hired with no knowledge of what they are selling. hahaha I didn't get to stop in to the two feed stores here local the past couple days, but I plan to probably this weekend. I will let you all know how I fair... hahaha Thanks for all the info and advice!! Glad it ended up working out for you lazy gardener!

Back
Top Bottom