Non Medicated Feed, where can I find it??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AStitchofKate, Feb 24, 2014.

1. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Should be getting new chicks in 2 wks or so, and they are gonna be given shots for Mareks & Coccidiosis. So to not effect the Coccidiosis vac, I would like to purchase non med starter and I can't find any. I looked online and I have seen where people have bought it, but my stores act like I speak foreign talk. lol Anyone know where I can find some, suggest a brand?? Thanks a bunch!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Flockraiser in the green bag is non-medicated. That's a brand you could mention. Good luck!

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Are you looking at actual feed stores? Or just places like Petsmart?

I would think any feed store would have non-medicated chick starter. It is pretty standard.

If they really don't have any, you can give them pullet grower instead.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Do you have a Tractor Supply nearby? If so, get Dumor chick starter/grower if they stock it. It’s 20% protein and not medicated. If they don’t stock it, see if they will get some delivered in their next shipment. I don’t know if they will do special orders like that or not.

Mine gets their shipment in on a Wednesday. If I don’t get it by Friday, they’ve sold out and I have to wait until the next shipment.

Alaskan, my small town Ace Hardware sells chicken feed. The only Starter they have is medicated. Technically they are not a feed store but you never know what the local manager might stock.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Well, in my small town you buy the livestock feed at the grocery store. :D

6. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    This is my first time raising chicks,and I also got them the Coccidiosis vaccine along with the Mareks. I did not anticipate having NO luck finding non medicated feed. Out of 5 feed stores, they ALL had only medicated.Some of them occasionally carry non medicated, but of course, thinking there would be worries, I waited until chicks were due in a couple of days so feed would be fresh as possible. Soooo....I fed them medicated. They are a little over three weeks old now, and they are fine. I did loose 4 out of the 28 I started with, but it was within the first 48 hours and I believe from shipping stress. The four that died were not thriving when they arrived.
    On a side note, I sure wish I had a Tractor Supply!

7. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    It was actually my tractor supply that when I called talked to me like there was no such thing! LOL I think I will make a visit and investigate myself tomorrow while Im out! Maybe it was a cashier who doesn't leave the register enough... hahaha! [​IMG] And I actually I spoke with a neighbor tonight and she told me of a feed store here local to ask, even gave me the number (SCORE!), so I think I will check these both out!! Thanks SO much for all the input everyone and info !!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I have also chosen to not give my flock medicated feed. I've raised chicks 4 times, and never had an issue with coccidiosis on non medicated feed. When I went to the feed store to buy feed last spring, they looked at me like I had 2 heads, and tried very hard to tell me that all of my birds would die if I did not give them medicated feed, and why would anyone choose to do that, and blah, blah, blah. I stood and took it until they had run out of their blah, blah, blah, (because i really needed to go home with a bag of feed that day) then calmly asked them what other kind of feed was available for chicks. They reluctantly sold me a bag of multi-flock raiser, which is higher protein than the chick starter. IMO, a far superior product. My girls were all laying at 16.5 - 17 weeks. So, my advice is, stand your ground. The feed store employees are merely giving you the party line, and honestly, I'm guessing that for the most part, it is just a job for them, and most of them have never raised a chicken, or any other livestock animal for that matter.

9. AStitchofKate

Feb 24, 2014
    Ugh! So sorry you had to deal with these ones too! I kinda thought the same, that a lot of these ones are probably hired with no knowledge of what they are selling. hahaha I didn't get to stop in to the two feed stores here local the past couple days, but I plan to probably this weekend. I will let you all know how I fair... hahaha Thanks for all the info and advice!! Glad it ended up working out for you lazy gardener!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by