Non-Medicated feed..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hemolymph, Apr 2, 2011.

1. hemolymph

hemolymph Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I got a 25lb of purina start & grow and it's non-medicated... Is it that big of a deal or should I go back and get a 50lb bag of medicated? (All they had was 50lb in the medicated one)

Thanks

2. Lawnman127

Lawnman127 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    How many chicks do you have?
    I used up 50 lbs of medicated in a little over 3 weeks with 25 chicks.
    I would just keep the non med, and buy some medicated.
    Some don't use the medicated at all. it's up to you, but I say give them
    all the help you can.
    Dennis

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    I would get the medicated starter if I were you. Brooder raised chicks need the immunity. [​IMG] I'm sure some will disagree with me.

4. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    I give the chicks medicated until they are about sixteen weeks. If the flock looks sick when they are grown you can treat them with Salinomycin.

5. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My girls go through a 20lb bag in about a week and a half (14 chickies).. I would use what you have and then buy medicated!! Thats what I do. Ive interchanged a couple times due to my hubby buying the non medicated [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. plucker

plucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Middle TN
    The employee at TSC recommended to me that we get non-medicated food and add a broad spectrum antibiotic to the water. Is this just as good as medicated food?

7. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    So if they have been vaccinated for Mariks do you still feed madicated feed?

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, I don't give meds unless they're sick. My flock is healthy and have good living conditions, I don't see the need to medicate "just in case". Not a road I want to start down [​IMG]

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Yes, the medicated feed is not for Marek's disease. Put coccidiosis or cocci in the search bar to read older threads on medicated vs. non-medicated feed. ( This last part is for the OP as well.)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    This is a hot topic for many people. My Opinions:

I would save the non-medicated bag of feed until they get a little older (something like 15 or 16 weeks) and give them medicated feed until then.

The purpose of medicated feed is to help the chicks build up a resistance to cocci. This is very different than giving them an antibiotic to kill an infection.

To "plucker" - Please remember that MANY of the employees at feed stores know nothing about raising chicks. Many of them will give bad advise. Antibiotics are used WAY too much in animals and humans. I personally would never use an antibiotic unless absolutely necessary.

To "Saltcreeek" - Mareks and cocci are different diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by