Non-Poisonous & Chicken Proof Plants

* I do have a star jasmine in my yard. Think they're supposed to be poisonous to ckns too. Chook has napped under it. . . . But, honestly, she just has never showed much interest in eating ANY green stuff, 'cept one low-growing weed in the yard. I don't euen know what it is. . . :|

I have a shurb in my front yard called Winter Honey suckel. The chicks have left it alone, I so have planted it on 2 sides of their coop for shade. It bloomes in the winter and has the most wonderfull smell.
Small white flowers that later turn to red berry the the chicks don't seem to be interested in. Will grow in sun or shade. Mine is about 6 foot by 6 foot after being planted for 3 years from a 1 gallon pot.

i have toxic plants all over my yard and the chickens freerange all the time. as a general rule, livestock only eat toxic plants when there is nothing else to eat or if they are young and naive and eat it by accident.

Last edited:
Quote:
any thoughts at all?

We have clematis and hydrangea in our yard and the chickens haven't eaten either of them
Kay

I bought a hybrid honeysuckle last year, chickens left it alone for the longest time and then ond day it was bare. It never grew again, somehow they killed it!
We have regular honeysuckle though and they never touch the stuff.

http://www.busybirds.net/Safe.html

Well
, ask and ye shall receive! I was SO tired of all the TOXIC for CHICKENS sites, I decided to look for SAFE for CHICKENS sites. TA DA!!!!!! Now if someone would just translate this list into common names....
lau.gif

sigh....this has been a major concern for me, as I know we have Foxglove growing wild..........i.e. digitalis, and the flower is speckled and beautiful. I think chickens may be attracted, but culling all of it will be difficult and heartbreaking (beautiful plant). What are the odds?

I'm getting the impression that chickens don't eat what is poisonous to them, and all the rest is dessert!

If anyone here has a story to tell of one of their chickens getting deathly ill from consuming a toxic plant, please tell us. I'm curious if there is one. If so, then I think we can assume that this remains an issue to be concerned with. Otherwise I think we can relax???

Brian

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom