Different kinds of quail Because I only have two coturnix left and one
Is injured pretty badly ☹️ .
It's scalp is basically ripped off so
I don't want to put him with his one
Female , so if anyone can help
That'd be great .

Thanks in advance.
Josh .

there's no particular kind of quail that is gentle. It depends on their personality. they all have different ways of doing things. I have a male who doesn't pull out any feathers and another male who mauled one of my females a while back. She's ok now though.

there's no particular kind of quail that is gentle. It depends on their personality. they all have different ways of doing things. I have a male who doesn't pull out any feathers and another male who mauled one of my females a while back. She's ok now though.
So there's no quail species that won't fight during breeding season?

Different quail require different ratios for breeding. Coturnix quail need to be kept 1 male to 3-5 females. Bobwhites need to be kept 1 to 1. Also ideally the males and females should grow up together. Introducing a new sexually mature male to sexually mature females can cause fighting. Usually when I've had fighting problems there was one specific culprit and they end up getting culled. I rarely have issues with fighting with my coturnix, but they are kept in the proper ratios.

Different quail require different ratios for breeding. Coturnix quail need to be kept 1 male to 3-5 females. Bobwhites need to be kept 1 to 1. Also ideally the males and females should grow up together. Introducing a new sexually mature male to sexually mature females can cause fighting. Usually when I've had fighting problems there was one specific culprit and they end up getting culled. I rarely have issues with fighting with my coturnix, but they are kept in the proper ratios.
Ok thank you so much 😊 .
Do you know of some place that sells button quail in Missouri ?
And what's the ratio for them ?
Are button quail a good choice ?

Ok thank you so much 😊 .
Do you know of some place that sells button quail in Missouri ?
And what's the ratio for them ?
Are button quail a good choice ?

Generally, the best ratio for them is 1:1, but some people keep them in trios. The males will fight each other if housed together, but several females can be housed together.

They mate for life, so they can be pickier than japanese quails. When they do find a good mate though, they can become really bonded.

Are they a good choice? depends on your purpose for owning them (If it's for meat or eggs, no. I do eat their eggs, but they don't lay year round).

Generally, the best ratio for them is 1:1, but some people keep them in trios. The males will fight each other if housed together, but several females can be housed together.

They mate for life, so they can be pickier than japanese quails. When they do find a good mate though, they can become really bonded.

Are they a good choice? depends on your purpose for owning them (If it's for meat or eggs, no. I do eat their eggs, but they don't lay year round).
Ok thanks 👍 they would be pets

Back
Top Bottom