Nona Duck got mauled by the neighbors dog and is breathing heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't made any meat this evening!
So no reason to be afraid. And she is very curiously looking around what we do.
She's not worried you are going to cook her...well that's not what I meant.
I meant maybe being in a box is new to her... scary.

She's not worried you are going to cook her...well that's not what I meant.
I meant maybe being in a box is new to her... scary.
She has been in that box before as a young duck when I had to clean their first duck house. And she is tall enough to look over the rim:

Attachments

• JPEG_20210106_204453_6340819771037520960.jpg
    JPEG_20210106_204453_6340819771037520960.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 8
Happy to hear she started drinking last night! How is she doing this morning?
Her wounds are looking fine, she was drinking but refused to eat. So far not a single quack from her, no squeak, no sound at all.
I have released her to the rest of the flock and will observe her closely as she is behaving a bit weird: She just walks a couple of steps then stops and looks around as if she cannot believe that she is still alive and back home.

Her wounds are looking fine, she was drinking but refused to eat. So far not a single quack from her, no squeak, no sound at all.
I have released her to the rest of the flock and will observe her closely as she is behaving a bit weird: She just walks a couple of steps then stops and looks around as if she cannot believe that she is still alive and back home.

I'm guessing just very wary...

Update on Nona Duck, she is doing so much better today:

In the morning after i opened the door to the duck house everybody but Nona stormed out, so i looked inside, expecting bad news when she stood in the door between the two bedrooms, looked at me and quacked! The first quack in two days! She has never been a very talkative duck but she was absolutely silent since her encounter with the dog.
So she looked at me and i encouraged her to come outside, left the door wide open and she slowly walked towards the other ducks. I had started to hand out cat-kibbles to the ducks and threw a handful at the spot where Nona stood and she began to gobble them up, so she ate today! Just a little bit, but that is very encouraging!
Later today i found her together with the rest of the flock at the pond, but she didn't went into the water. She is walking around, not running, she moves like "grandma duck".
And she got very shy: She was at the front line for breakfast when i hand out the cat-kibbles in the morning, quacking at me, asking me to hold the container lower, so that she can eat straight out of it. - Not today! 🤔
In the evening, before i walk with the supper-bowl into the duck-run, she was one of the ducks "quality-checking' the dinner. - Not today! - In fact, i have not seen her walking into the duck-house, but she must me inside because no duck was left outside and i checke twice around the house and at the pond.
I cannot touch her anymore and she is keeping two steps distance to me, whereas before i could slightly touch her, even pet her chest a little bit.
I really hope she will be the "old" Nona Duck soon! 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom