NoNAIS.org

gretyfields.......I don't think anyone has gotten out of hand about this subject....If you work for USDA, the gov. or whomever and can't deal with some ridicuel , then you are in the wrong profession! NAIS is very inportant to almost anyone who raises birds of any kind and other animals.......you know the old saying, "if ya can't stand the heat....stay outta the kitchen"

I think Greyfield's point was to be proactive in making sure to remind that a civil discussion is what we like, just in case.
smile.png

Certainly this discussion has been civil. Thanks!

Regardless to who works where, no one should be speaking bad about heat, kitchen, and USDA jobs. My intent when I opened up this link was to educate those that were not aware of the restrictions that could be happening, yet in a way, I do understand the need for accountability between farmers, animals and as we have discussed, quarenteen for your animals with others.
It is generally us citizens that feel the need to push the limits, see how far we can get away with things, before being caught, then jumping up and down after we are caught and screaming unjust.
Personally, I do not appreciate the thought of not having freedom to trade a bird(for example). I am for the USDA and other government positions. For the samples of produce, meat and the other nasty things that have to be kept in order. If we do not have rules in cattle for example, it would be like the old days when you could haul a half dead cow into an abitior and get a check from Mc Donalds. This actually was something I witnessed MANY moons ago. It was not right to have allowed that to happen, this is one reason its important to have government agencies in contact.
Food inspectors are another bunch that could be "shot" at dawn, yet why? Because they inforce the law, making sure the cockroaches and grease is cleaned up...when it is a known cituation and should be done without the threat of an inspector.
I realize I am just a uneducated person from Maine, yet I am fully appreciative of these people that keep me from eating off someones floor, the horrible black mold in our ice machines. Go into a restraunt and asked when the last time the ice machine was cleaned. It does need to be cleaned, it grows a spacific mold that is not healthy for anyone.
Don't shoot the messenger, the moderators wanted to forwarn that this is a touchy subject, I began it and it was not for us to picket and wave insulting signs.
To the Moderators, I apologize. Again, I was in hopes to become educated by the many opinions of others in the same seat as I am in.
Have a great day and keep it civil.

I see absolutely no reason this cannot be civil. I dont see anything terrible so far. Yes, it's a touchy subject mainly because Americans are passionate about our hard-won freedoms, one being to feed our families from our own land. As well they should be! And I doubt anyone has a problem with restaurant inspectors or anything that keeps the meat we eat from being tainted. Those are not the issues. Should NAIS apply to the backyard producer who is feeding his family by his own efforts? Not on your life. It is an unneeded and wasteful and impossible to maintain system that wasnt well thought-out. I cannot afford to pay any higher prices than I do and I'm betting this would raise costs tremendously. And I won't tolerate anyone in govt or anywhere, as long as I'm not violating ordinances/covenants, getting in my business about my chickens that never leave my own property. I'm only stating simple facts, not being mean, flaming, etc. NAIS is unconstitutional. We still have a constitution. Till they rip it to shreds and abolish it, I'll stand on that.
smile.png

Last edited:
GO SPECKLED.....GO SPECKLED......GO SPECKLED.......

We are (I hope) a civil people in a civilized world(somewhat..) I just have a hard time with people telling me what I can do in my own backyard! I was not jumping on "greyfields" and the comment about the heat in the kitchen was not intended for "greyfields". It was intended for anyone who thinks they are going to take even more of MY rights away and tell me I can no longer raise chickens if I am not registered with NAIS.
NO HARM, NO FOWL....

I'm not special, no different than many, many people. I dont expect the govt to take care of me, dont want their interference as long as I'm minding my own business just trying to survive. I dont sell birds or buy them at auctions, at least I haven't yet. I dont show them, either. So, my little operation is pretty isolated here. No reason for the USDA to give me a number or take even one glance in my direction. That's the way it is with most backyard flock owners, I suspect.

I do agree with you on the rights, boy, our forefathers must be just rolling over in their graves.
I went to a teachers gathering last night and believe it or not, these "proffessional" people are not aware of any such issues. Even those that own goats, horses etc. Its interesting how many issues we as John Q. Public miss. I did give them the flyer that you can print off so they could take time on their school vacation to acknowledge those issues.
Either way, Speckled, I do appreciate your knowledge.
big_smile.png

spook, most people aren't aware of the issue. And they just seem to not be that concerned, till they actually begin reading about it more. I told our local paper and they did an article about it, quoting me, but after that, nothing. There were so many incorrect statements in it, mostly from cattle people here, who think it only applies to commercial operations.

Quote:
Amen Cyn! The NAIS is so unconstitutional. Anything that allows someone to come onto your property and destroy your animals, just because, is not right. I am totally against this operation. It's costly, a HUGE waste of tax payer money, and of no benefit to the small man. It will only hurt the small farmer's and backyard flock owners in the long run. If you sign the NAIS agreement, then you might as well say goodbye to everything that you have worked so hard to own. Freedom, your animals, your rights (you don't have any once you sign that paper), and your land. Plain and simple, this is not for the people, to protect the people (just how will it do that?), or will it carry any benefits for the people. It is for the government. Plain and simple.

SAY NO TO NAIS!

We pay to have the government here, alot. We are not getting our money's worth. If they can't protect us against tomatoes, spinach, baby bottles, etc, then they shouldn't be looking in my backyard!!!!

Back
Top Bottom