None of my chickens are laying

Switching to a layer feed before all are laying will slow down them maturing. You basically cut their protein. Put them back on a grower. I don't understand everyone being in a hurry to feed a layer ration, especially to still growing birds. All you need to do is put out a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs. Layer isn't necessary, it's just another feed choice.

It is pretty much layer feed but ingredients are sold in different bags and it cuts our feeble bill in half.
What exactly are the ingredients and percentages of protein and calcium in the two bags.
There should be nutrition tags sewn into the bottom of the bags, if you are in the US.
Pics of your labels would certainly help.

BTW...Welcome to BYC!
I too am waiting for 21wo pullets to lay, it's frustrating for sure!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-9-16_9-9-10.png

I crush up egg shells for the calcium. Read in a book that that works as well as oyster shells and it recycles and saves money. Give them spinach and wheatgrass as a treat and apples. They love apples. Was going to look into bean sprouts also. As for the food...we have a large tin garage can we use to mix the food in so we dont have any bags for labels. Didnt want nice getting into the food bags.

I crush up egg shells for the calcium. Read in a book that that works as well as oyster shells and it recycles and saves money. Give them spinach and wheatgrass as a treat and apples. They love apples. Was going to look into bean sprouts also. As for the food...we have a large tin garage can we use to mix the food in so we dont have any bags for labels. Didnt want nice getting into the food bags.
I transfer my feed into metal cans too, but always save the labels, they tear off easily.
Egg shell does not work as well as oyster shell.
Egg shell breaks down very quickly whereas OS stays in the gizzard for a good long time. OS is cheap, $10 for a 50# bag that lasts me all year.
Spinach can inhibit the uptake of calcium.
Lower/unbalanced nutrition (protein and vitamins/minerals/amino acids) may well be why your birds are not laying yet.

Friends of ours got chickens 1 month after us and theirs are laying.
Curious....are your friends feeding the exact same diet?

As @aart said eggshells break down quickly, within a few hours, oyster shells stay in the system much long so there's calcium available to a hen 24 hours a day. Which is important at night when many hens are making the shell on an egg. Without oyster shells, hens will pull the calcium out of their bones. Oyster shells are cheap, and a necessary part of a hens diet.

My gold laced Wyandotte and my EE started laying the same day.
The EE at 20 weeks

The GLW at 27!
She is the oldest pullet, but the forth to start laying! The BA and BO both started right at 24 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom