Noob here - can I run my plan by you?

I have a BO and she is great, very friendly, and easy breezy. I let my ladies out after work around 4:15 for a few house. NOW... if I have other things to do or the weather is trash and I don't let them out she makes the loudest ruckus and makes sure everyone knows that she doesn't agree🤣
Ha! I was reading about that elsewhere - that they get used to free ranging and make you know they are pissed when you don’t offer it. Lol

I agree that is an awkward size to build. Many building materials come in standard dimensions of 4' and 8', like a sheet of plywood. The least expensive lumber is usually in 8' lengths. If you are buying the material you can save a lot of cutting and waste by planning around those dimensions. In a small coop like that a 6' dimension isn't that bad, the cut-offs can often be used for nests or other things. A 4 x 6 would not be bad for 4 hens, should be easier to build than a 5x5 and should not cost any more. If you already have the materials plan the size on the dimensions of the materials you have. Lumber is really expensive right now.

Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. That's something you will have to learn by trial and error.

They should enjoy that. Many people on here do that. They will probably want out but it will not hurt them for you to deny their wants. In animal husbandry somebody has to be the adult. They don't always know what is best for them. It sounds like yours will have a very good life, as good or better than many other backyard flocks.
Thank you for your insight! Really appreciate it. I will definitely reconsider the coop dimensions. I think 4x6 sounds good based on your input.

I am in Seattle in a dense neighborhood.

So a mild, wet climate?

You'll want to make sure that all your ventilation is well-protected from rain, but snowfall is rare, right? That's a good situation for soffit and ridge venting.

Generous roof overhangs are always good, but particularly important in a wet climate. :)

Welcome to BYC! It is excellent that you are thinking ahead.

Don't hesitate to ask questions about chickens, or coops. There is a wealth of knowledge here. And, we were all noobs when we began our chicken journey too.

The suggestions to make the dimensions in 4 and 6 ft. increments are good. I would also suggest to make it a couple inches shorter on each side because when you attach at the ends, depending on the construction technique, your panels could become a bit short.

Back
Top Bottom